Spring is here and warmer temperatures have started to move this way here in North Carolina. It’s been a cold winter for this once South Florida girl so I am welcoming the warmer temps with open arms. I’m only hoping it stays and doesn’t get cold again. With the warmer temperatures and super busy schedule lately all I’ve wanted is something quick and easy to grab in the middle of the day. I have found myself being hungry and with little time which sometimes results in many unpleasant things….like grabbing anything and stuffing it in my face or becoming the grumpy side of myself that is not so pleasant. When I’m hungry I become a different person. My husband jokes that I become the hulk. Ha! The sad part is I’m not aware this side of me is coming until it is out. Which is why having something on hand to eat in a busy day is important. Lately I have been making this chicken salad on the weekends so I can have throughout the week. I’ve played around with it and added a few things here and there but for the most part it’s included broccoli, apple, and chicken. I’ve thrown in some avocado slices on the side which was a great addition too. It’s not a mayo based chicken salad either. I have been loving the taste of mustard lately so it’s a mustard base instead with a slight touch of honey to add a sweetness. That is totally your call on if you want to add that to your salad but highly recommend. It’s a simple salad to throw together for the week again and especially if you have leftover chicken. I happened to use frozen broccoli and quickly steamed before throwing into the salad which again equals easy….something I’m all about!
Now before jumping into the recipe a few things to expect in the next few weeks here on the blog:
1. I’m going to start incorporating a Friday post with all my favorite things around the Paleo world of things. That may include: fellow blogger recipes, products, great nutritional based articles, fabulous Pins on Pinterest, and much more. Maybe some giveaways thrown in there too. I’m hoping to have the first post up this Friday (fingers crossed). I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile now so I’m excited to start sharing.
2. I’ve received many questions about the upcoming cookbook, Powerful Paleo Superfoods, so I’m also going to be posting a look inside the new book within the next week. I’m pumped about this book and can’t wait to share. I received my first copy last week and it was amazing to see everything in book form and hold it in my hands. This book was a lot of work in a short window of time but I couldn’t be happier with the outcome and I hope you will be too.
3. Giveaways!! As we approach the new book launch I’m hoping to have some awesome giveaways for you guys! Yay!!
I hope you enjoy this light and easy chicken salad!
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1/2 apple, cored and finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl toss together chicken, broccoli, apple, and green onion. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together mustard, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into bowl with chicken and broccoli and stir to combine. Season with additional sea salt or pepper if desired.
- Salad is best stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Great served alone, wrapped in a lettuce leaf, or on a Paleo Bun.
Looking for more chicken salad recipes to help in packing your lunch?
Here are some additional recipes here on the blog: