chicken_stew

You asked and you shall receive.  Last week, or maybe the week before, I asked on my facebook page what you wanted to see on the blog as far as recipes go and by far the vote was something involving the slow cooker.  I have to be honest I don’t use mine as much as I should.  My mom hardly ever used ours when I was growing up so I like to think that is the reason why I don’t use mine BUT shame on me!!  I need to use it more often because it totally rocks and saved my butt in having to make dinner the other night.  WHY?  Because I just threw all of this in the pot and 4 to 5 hours later when I was super tired I had dinner!  Dinner that I didn’t have to make because I did it 4 or 5 hours prior.  Ahhhh!  Nice!  Genius those people who made the slow cooker….genius!  Don’t you wish you thought of it?  I surely did.

Ok, before we jump into the recipe some fun “stuff” to share.  Just because!  And because it’s fun to share!  Last week if you recall my random thoughts I mentioned I was “thinking” about signing up for the 2013 CrossFit Open.  Well, I DID!  Ugh!  I hope I didn’t make a terrible mistake and regret it after the first workout.  And why do I have butterflies in my stomach waiting to hear what the first workout is going to be?  Is that good, or totally bad?  Ugh!  I sometimes wonder why I do this to myself!  I was totally bullied to sign up by my coach….ok, totally kidding but he did tell me on numerous occasions I should….so I finally did!  I’m going to totally tell myself its all about having fun these next 5 weeks.  Ok, now my armpits are sweating thinking about it.  I totally need to move on to the next topic so I can calm my butt down!  But (the other one) I do have to mention the announcement of the first workout is in Charlotte!!  My new hometown!  Just a short 20 minute drive away the first workout will be done at the beautiful CrossFit Vitality.  I soooooo wish I could go but I have mom duties to attend to and lets face it that’s more important than sitting around watching Dan Bailey and Scott Panchik sweat it out….hmmmm?  Questionable!  Ha!

Another fun thing going on….I’m going to the PaleoFX event at the end of the month in Austin, TX!!  Yippee!  I’m sooo excited!  It will be fabulous to finally meet some of my favorite Paleo bloggers like Juli, Danielle, Stacy, Michelle, and many more too.  I’m also excited to see my Paleo crush Matt Lalonde  speak.  I’ve never been to Austin either and I’m pretty pumped about seeing this city.  I have heard nothing but amazing things about it.  Are any of you going?  Please let me know if you are in the comments below.  I would love to meet you and chat.  And for those of you who can’t come, I will be sure to share my journey with all of you out there so make sure to follow me on my facebook page, instagram, and twitter to hear what I’m learning and seeing.

Ok, I’m off.  Enjoy the stew my beautiful Paleo people!  Stay tune because I have some Cinnamon Maple Scones to share with you soon.  My mouth just started to water typing that…I have a problem folks.

chicken_stew2

Slow Cooker Chicken, Sweet Potato and Kale Stew

1 pound skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks

1 yellow onion, diced

3 carrots, peeled and cubed

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1/3 cup tomato paste

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 teaspoon gluten-free yellow mustard

3 bay leaves

1 bunch of kale, steams removed and broken into pieces

sea salt and fresh pepper to taste

Chicken_StewVeg

Wash chicken and cut into chunk size pieces and place into the pot of a slow cooker uncooked.

On top of chicken add diced onion, cubed carrots, cubed sweet potato, garlic, chicken broth, tomato, paste, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and bay leaves.  Stir to mix everything together.  Place slow cooker on high heat for 4 to 5 hours or until carrots and sweet potato are tender.  In the last hour, add kale and stir to combine.

Chicken_StewPot

If you don’t like your chicken chunky you can shred the chicken at the end of cooking by using a fork or the back of a spoon.  Its super easy to do with the cooking process.  I’ve had it both ways and both are delicious.  Taste the stew and season with sea salt and fresh pepper to taste.

Remove bay leaves, serve and enjoy.

Makes about 5 to 6 servings (give or take).  Its hard for me to gauge because my husbands servings are bigger than most.  ha!

21 Responses to Slow Cooker Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Kale Stew

1. [...] Slow Cooker Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Kale Stew [...]

2. Courtney says:

Totally making this stew today, yah! Hope 13.1 went well, I am excited to see what 13.2 will be now that week 1 is in the books :) I am sure you did great! Thanks for asking for tips on the FB page, that video with “the dream team” rocked and I am so excited to know that they will do that with each Open WOD! I will be at PaleoFX, I am just so excited about going and meeting everyone!

3. Patricia says:

You did not include when to add the tomato paste to th recipe

4. mindy t says:

Good for you for jumping in and signing up. How did you do on 13.1? I so badly wanted to sign up but couldnt do to a shoulder injury.

5. Monica says:

Hi Heather,

I really enjoy your site and the yummy recipes. Congrats on taking the plunge and signing up for the CrossFit Open. I hope your the first WOD was great for you. I don’t have the courage to do that yet; however, I admire those willing to take the plunge. I’m in Charlotte also and was wondering if you have a good recommendation for local eggs. Thanks!

Thanks Patricia for catching that! You place the tomato paste in when you place all the other goodies in the pot. I will add it to the recipe now. :)

Hi Monica!

Thanks so much for your sweet comment. So nice to hear from another Charlotte local too. :) I get my eggs from either two farms: East of Eden or Windy Hill Farms. Both of them are also at the Atherton Mill Farmers Market on Tuesdays and Saturdays on South Blvd near Dilworth.

8. Jennifer says:

Do you think using butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes would be okay?

Hi Jennifer,
    Sure, butternut squash would work in this recipe too. Just make sure to keep them to smaller cubes to insure they cook and soften. :)

10. Cristie Kalish says:

I Made this tonight and it was so good. Our family of five scarfed it and so did my daughters best friend who was turning a nose up to sweet potatoes lol.

11. [...] Potatoes and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Honey Glazed Chicken and Bacon Bites, Garlic Sauteed Kale Crockpot Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Kale Stew Sweet Caveman Pie Sage Stew with Pumpkin and Cherries Chicken Soup Chicken Drumsticks, Whipped [...]

12. Lisa says:

I just made this, it is SO yummy! My boyfriend loved it too, I will definitely be making it again. Your recipes are great, thanks for sharing!

13. Krystle says:

Hi there, I’m new to paleo but my husband is not on board and so i am trying to find some new recipes to make cooking after work easier! The diet changes have been shockingly easy for me but the challenge i’ve found is cooking 2-3 meals at night! At least my 11 month old daughter eats what i eat, that has helped! anyways on to my question. I am gone from 7 am to 5pm…do you think this would be okay cooked on low in teh crock pot for 10 hours! i think it might be a little on teh mushy side at that point but heres to hoping!! Anything to make what is now mass chaos for me from 5-6pm any easier is a godsend!!
    Thanks a bunch!!
    Krystle

Hi Krystle,

Sure, I think this would be good on low while you are at work. My only suggestion is to possibly place the kale in after you get home and just stir it in and let it stand in there for about 30 minutes more before serving. :) That way you get all the nutritional value from the kale too.

Good luck!

15. Michelle says:

Your paleo chili with sweet potato, zucchini, and carrots are on our regular dinner rotation. We all love it, thanks for sharing!

16. PB says:

This was so yummy. I added some Trader Joe’s West African seasoning and it made it even better. Thanks!

17. plr415 says:

Sooooooo goood! Made it tonight and ate more than half of it hahaha! The sweet potatoes were the perfect ingredient. I live in San Francisco and it was perfect for the cold and foggy day. Total comfort food. Thanks!

18. Belinda says:

Do you think it would work just to leave out the tomato paste? I’ve got a nightshade allergy.

Thank you!

Hi Belinda,

I haven’t tried it without the tomato paste so I’m not sure but you could give it a try. You might have to adjust some of the others to add more flavor. If you try it without let us know how it comes out. :)

20. I loved this stew! I had homemade chicken bone broth on hand, so I used an entire jar (closer to 3 cups) and the entire can of tomato paste. It was fabulous! I will make this again in the future. Thank you for creating such an awesome stew recipe.

21. Wynn says:

Made this the other week-end. Used spinach instead of kale. Also, used probably double the chicken broth than was called for I will definitely have to pre-cook the carrots and potatoes next time. Awesome cold weather dish.