Won’t you be my Valentine?

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner….are you a believer in that mushy day of love?  I’m all for a day filled with love.  Of course, if you asked me that in college I would have given you a face and said something having these *$%# in them.  Ha!  How times have changed!  Of course marrying the guy of your dreams can do that to a girl.  Another thing I love about Valentine’s Day?  Dark Chocolate!  I love that stuff!  The darker it is the more heavenly it is in my honest opinion.  I missed it so much on Whole 30 too.  I stored it way back in my pantry so it wouldn’t even have a chance to show it’s pretty little wrapper.  I have pretty good willpower, except when it comes to dark chocolate so it is seriously important to hide it.  Now that Whole 30 is behind me and Valentine’s is ahead  I thought I would share something a little sweet.  After all, you guys are sweet and you deserve a little sweet in your life.  AND it’s another way to tell you how much I LOVE YOU, my wonderful readers.  I heart you guys.  Ok, am I getting too mushy….I’ll stop.  BUT I won’t stop before I share this super yummy and deliciously rich chocolate dessert with you.  I promise if your significant other or secret crush is not Paleo he or she will be totally shocked when they hear that this dessert is Paleo.  Just keep it a secret until it’s eaten and then share with them though. It’s more fun that way!  These little tarts were inspired by the Hail Merry Tarts, which are orgasmic!  Instead of paying for them I wanted to create them.  So here you have it!  Make them for the ones you love this Valentine’s Day!  Don’t forget it’s next week!  Do I totally sound like a mom?  Well, I get it honestly I suppose!  I used to hate it when my mom used to say “don’t forget, such and such”.  Now I’m doing it!  Ok, I’ll shut up now.  Go make and eat these!

Oh yeah! One more thing and I promise I’ll get to the recipe.

You know what else is next week??!!  The e-cookbook launch!  Yippeeeee!!!  I’m so freakin excited!  Monday is the big day so stay tune!

Happy Weekend everyone!  Stay warm all you Northeast folks!

Dark Chocolate Tarts with Raspberries

For the crust:

1 ¼ cup almond flour

3 tablespoons cacao powder

2 tablespoons maple syrup

¼ cup extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted

For filling:

½ cup extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 cup cacao powder

For topping:

1 cup fresh raspberries, for garnish (optional)

Thoroughly grease 4 or 5 tartlet pans, 4 to 5 inch in size, with coconut oil.

To make the crust: Place the almond flour, cacao powder, and salt into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and blend together with a fork until everything comes together and mixture becomes wet.

Form the dough into 4 or 5 small balls and press evenly into tartlet pans with fingers along the bottom and up the sides. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to allow the dough to firm and chill.

To make the chocolate filling: Add the coconut oil and maple syrup to the bowl of a food processor and process until well combined. Add the cacao powder and process until smooth, stopping to scrap down the edges of the bowl as needed. Pour the chocolate mixture over crust and spread evenly.

Return tarts to the refrigerator to set and firm for at least 1 hour. Before serving, allow the tarts to come to room temperature and then place an even layer of raspberries over chocolate.

Tarts can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.

Makes 4 or 5 tartlets

18 Responses to Dark Chocolate Tarts with Raspberries

1. Courtney says:

These look amazing! I have heard so much about Hail Merry products, might be time to check them out. After making these of course :) Can’t wait for your cookbook, I know it will be fantastic!

2. Katrina says:

Ooooooh this look delicious! I think I am going to have to make this!

3. Esther says:

This is kind of a naive question, but what exactly is cacao powder. Is it at all similar to unsweetened cocoa powder and if not, any general tips on where I could find it?

4. Ann says:

Oh my goodness! I love the Hail Merry tarts, but they’re a bit pricey. I can’t wait to try these. I may actually make them on Valentine’s Day (though I don’t have raspberries, so we may use strawberries). The ingredients seemed simple enough to recreate, but I haven’t had the chance to do so. I’m so glad you put this recipe together. Thank you!

Hi Esther,
    I suggest always using 100 percent cacao powder in most my recipes because it is naturally unsweetened. I usually find mine at Whole Foods or other natural food stores. But if you can’t find it you can also use unsweetened cocoa powder. Just make sure there is nothing else added, always check our labels right? :)

6. Amanda says:

I’d love to make this in my 10″ tart pan. Wonder if the amounts would be enough or I should do 1.5X? Hmmm…

7. Rosanna says:

What if you don’t have tartlet pans what else can you use?

Hi Rosanna,

You can use a muffin pan too. Just work the crust into the bottom of the muffin pan and up the sides about half way. Then follow the direct according to the recipe only filling the chocolate center just slightly below the edge of the crust.

You could use a muffin pan as I suggested to Rosanna above. That would be a great option. :)

10. Kirsten says:

OMG, drooling… I’m going to have to give these a try at some point soon!

11. [...] What about these Dark Chocolate Tarts with Raspberries? [...]

12. Julia says:

Oh my gosh these look amazing!!! I definitely want to try & make these! I was referred to your page by Juli of PaleOMG and I’m glad I came across all these awesome recipes :)

13. Ellie says:

These look yummy but the ones in the pics look like you have baked the crust? Also how do you get the crust nice and thin? think mine is a bit sticky and thick. Mine are setting in the fridge at the mo and I’m just wonedering whether to bake the crust before I add the filling. Forces hubby returning from Falklands tomorrow so want a special dessert to spoil him and the kids!

Hi Ellie,

I did not bake the crust in the photo’s above. The crust should harden when placed in the refrigerator to set. And I got my crust thin by pressing it out with my finger tips to cover the bottoms and up the sides of the tart pan. Just use fingers to press dough evenly. I hope this helps. :)

15. Ellie says:

Made filling – totally yummy. Now in fridge ready for tomorrow. Can’t wait! Thanks for the advice, next time I’ll work harder for a thinner crust next attempt but this time they’ll just look a bit more rustic than yours!

16. [...] Grain-free Dark Chocolate Tarts with Raspberries Boom! [...]

17. Emma says:

These are amazing! They taste as good as they look! Thank you so much for such an easy, delicious treat.