Now that Whole 30 is behind me I can finally share with you my new favorite muffin recipe!  I made these a while back and these were the muffins I told you that were waiting for me in the freezer last week.  You know when I was telling you all I could dream about the last two or three days of the challenge was a Paleo treat in the form of a muffin.  These are them!  And once my Whole 30 journey was behind me these came out of the freezer in a flash….and they were eaten!  BUT by my kids and husband.  I only had three stored away in the freezer and I was so excited to get my paws on these.  BUT being the good mom that I am I shared instead.  Shame on me right?  Why didn’t I just take them to my quiet corner of the house (that seriously doesn’t exist…my kids will track me down anywhere) and eat them in solitude?  Ha!  Funny!  Just thinking about quiet and solitude in one sentence when it pertains to my life is seriously hilarious!  It doesn’t exist!  Any who, now that I’m posting the recipe to share with all of you my mouth is watering and I’m seriously craving a bite of one of these muffins. Oh! and one of Juli’s Sweet Potato Chia Muffins!  Did you see those yet?  YUM!  Well, I guess I know what will be made in my kitchen in the near future.  Muffins!

Quick facts about recent happenings in my crazy life, because you know you love hearing about them.  Just pretend…

1.) Spending your Sunday morning in Children’s Urgent Care is no fun.  Especially when your child is in pain and all you can do is wait and wait till they can call your name.  Ugh!  By the way, the combo of pink eye and an ear infection is no fun!  Stupid germs!

2.) I cried during this commercial during the Super Bowl.  Like seriously cried my eyes out.  Embarrassing, but I’m known to be Mrs. Sensitive.

3.) I about died on Saturday after my CrossFit WOD.  This is what we had to do and just for my sake tell me you would have died too.  Just entertain me! Please!

100 Double Unders

90 air squats

80 ab mat sit-ups

70 push-ups

60 box jumps

50 pull-ups

40 kettle bell swings

30 T2B

20 burpees

10 handstand push-ups

I think I just died again repeating it too.

4.) For the record, I hate handstand push-ups.  I can’t do them.  I guess I should have stuck with my gymnastic classes when I was little.  I chose to run up and down a soccer field instead.  I guess that’s why I like to run!

5.)  The e-cookbook is coming folks!!!  I keep teasing you but we are close!!  We are trying to get up by next Monday!!  Just what you wanted for Valentine’s Day, right?  Here is a small sneak peak and the first look at the title and the NEW LOGO!!  Under the fork and spoon says Paleo 365.  Look for a new look on the site coming in the next few months.  Exciting!!

6.) Another fact!  I want muffins!!!  Like now!

7.) I’m working on a fun giveaway for you all next Friday.  Stay tune!

Ok, enough from me.  Enjoy the muffins and see you back around here later this week.

Apple Spiced Muffins

7 Medjool dates, pitted

2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

½ cup extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted

½ cup canned coconut milk

½ tablespoon vanilla extract

3 cups almond flour

3 tablespoons coconut flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

¼ teaspoon ground allspice

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 ½ cups shredded apple

Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners. Set aside.

To make the cupcakes: In the bowl of a food processor, add the dates, eggs, applesauce, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract and process until the dates have completely broken up and are incorporated evenly into batter.

In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, gelatin, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and process until incorporated. Remove the blade from the food processor and stir in the apple.

Scoop the batter into prepared pans, filling cups to the rim. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 2 dozen muffins – cut recipe in half to make 12

14 Responses to Apple Spiced Muffins

1. Courtney says:

These look amazing! I am 4 days away from completing the Sugar Detox so these will happen Sunday and I saw Juli’s as well, muffins all the time (haha kidding) :) That (brutal) WOD… you go girl!

2. Courtney says:

Oh and so pumped about your cookbook! That is so great :)

3. Laura says:

Why is there gelatin in this recipe? I’m just curious, since I’ve never seen it in a paleo baking recipe before.

You will find unflavored gelatin in a lot of custard like Paleo desserts. When I was writing my cookbook I started to use it more and found that it also works great in baked goods, like these muffins. The gelatin is a flavorless thickening agent that helps give body to certain desserts or baked goods. You can leave it out of this recipe if you would like. I haven’t tried it without myself though. I might have to do that this weekend and let you all know. :)

Hi Linda,

Hopefully when I can finally work on the site redesign I’ll have Pinterest and some other options on my recipe posts. :)

6. Michele says:

This looks delicious! I just started my Whole30, so I’ll have to wait 24 days before I can try them, but they will be one of the first on my list! I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out. I have been following you since before you began your Paleo journey and know that when I try one of your recipes, it will be delicious! Thank you for sharing all of your tasty treats with us!

7. Michele says:

Oh, love the new logo too!

Hi!
    Love your recipes, thank you for sharing!
    I can’t work out whether you are living in Aus or somewhere else. And i wonder because i see Medjool Dates in a lot of recipes, and i just don’t know what these are! (I live in Aus). Are they a specially prepared type of dates? Or regular dates? Soft dates?
    Enlighten me, please? :)
    Thanks!

Hi Rachel,
    I guess it’s a USA thing. :). medjool dates are awesome because they are big, soft, and my opinion easier to work with and one goes a long way. :) If you can find soft dates then you should be good to go.

10. Laura says:

This recipe looks great, however, I’m not a fan of coconut anything…can you give me a subsitution for the coconut milk and oil? Thanks so much!

Laura,

You can use almond milk instead of coconut milk and if you can tolerate butter I would suggest using grass fed butter (equal amounts) or you could use ghee as well.

12. Tara Miley says:

Starting my first Whole30 tomorrow, but definitely bookmarking this to make come day 31!

13. Magda says:

I made these over the weekend (1/2 recipe – 12 muffins). They were delicious on Saturday, when one was finally cool enough for me to devour.. umm, eat delicately. But they were even better on Sunday: moist, with apple pieces blending into the muffin, deliciously spiced. I did add a pinch of cloves and used regular milk but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. This is a keeper!