What’s a post from me without a little of me rambling on about something?…you know you love my rambling head. Ha! If you don’t, just skip to the recipe below, but I promise my thoughts might make you laugh. Ok, maybe not! Now let me ramble on about a few things.
- I love Crossfit, like seriously love it. BUT right now I may question that love. Every part of my body aches in some way. DON’T tell me it’s because I’m getting old. My husband tried that on me and he got a punch in the shoulder. And folks Crossfit makes you have muscles…good muscles though. After 4 days in a row of Crossfit, which would probably explain the aches in my body, I plan on taking tomorrow off to do absolutely nothing! Well, not exactly nothing because my days are still busy.
- Another little tidbit about my recent Crossfit days….I hate kipping pull-ups. Ok, I don’t hate them but I hate what my hands look like right now. Last week we had a fair share of pull-ups and even had some toes to bars thrown in. I am now able to do kipping pull-ups and string anywhere from 3 to 5 together. Which by the way is HUGE for me. This was a major goal for me so now that I can do them I’m pretty darn happy about it. However, my hands right now would think differently. And just when one hand started to get better the other one tore and then I had a run in with toes to bars yesterday which landed me with a bloody hand. I know attractive but the facts! My mom ran across FITBOMB‘S post, husband to the amazing Nom Nom Paleo, on keeping your hands in pretty so I plan to try to start following his advise. My only hope is I can get these hands of mine back to fighting shape.
- Whole30, I love you and I’m almost there but I have seriously in the past two days have craved a little Paleo treat of some kind. I haven’t even had anything of a “paleo” something made with almond flour or coconut flour. I’m Paleo every day of the year with an occasional paleo pancake or muffin thrown in so don’t get me wrong it hasn’t been too hard on my Whole30 journey. BUT maybe because my body aches which has made my head ache (only kidding and probably making excuses now) the past two days I’ve really wanted a fruit sweetened muffin (which are actually in my freezer right now). I will plug away though and Wednesday will be Day 30 so we shall see.
- I’m excited because on Friday (if all goes well) the e-cookbook will be available for all of you Paleo lovers out there. I’m pretty excited about it! Like super excited! It will have a bunch of new recipes your pretty little eyes have never seen. Some of them happen to be some of my new favorites. You know how hard its been not to share those with you too? Like super hard! I’m not one to hold back. BUT I knew I had to hold back on these recipes because then you wouldn’t want to have it. Stupid me if I shared. Ha!
- Did anyone watch the beautiful Adam Levine on Saturday Night Live? I’m not going to lie I can’t even remember the last time I watched a Saturday Night Live! Basically because I’m old and its past my bed time. BUT I changed everything in order to see Adam. Ok, confession I recorded it on Saturday. I know, I know! Anyway, I watched it last night and I now remember the other reason why I don’t watch that show anymore…its horrible! Don’t get me wrong I could look at Adam for another hour and half but minus him acting out skits on Saturday Night Live.
I think that might be enough rambling for today.
Last Friday on the facebook page I asked what recipe you would like to see up on the blog first: Southwest Spicy Egg Muffins OR Parchment Baked Halibut with Paleo Pesto, Tomatoes, and Zucchini. You guys didn’t make it easy because it was a TIE!! I will be sharing the halibut recipe on Wednesday so if you voted for that recipe no need to worry it will be up in just a few days.
These muffins are easy and perfect for busy mornings during the week when you need something quick. I was lucky enough to find a local farmer who has amazing HOT and spicy sausage that I was able to use in this recipe. It was amazing! If you can find a spicy or hot version I would highly recommend using. If you can only get mild and still want some spicy add a little more red pepper flakes. Either way I hope you like! Oh one more thing, highly recommend some avocado or guacamole with these….YUM!
Southwest Egg Muffins
1/2 pound (about 2 links) Spicy Pastured Pork Sausages, removed from casing
1 cup spinach, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
9 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with coconut oil. Make sure to grease the pan very well to insure the muffins do not stick to pan. You can also use a silicone muffin pan, I’ve heard they work great.
In a skillet, place pork sausage that has been removed from its casing. Break up using a spatula and continue to cook until pork is no longer pink and cooked through.
In a medium bowl, add cooked pork sausage, chopped spinach, bell pepper, cilantro (if using), red pepper flakes and sea salt and stir to combine. Evenly distribute pork and veggie mix into muffin cups. Be generous to each cup but do not over flow.
In a small bowl, beat eggs. Carefully pour beaten egg mixture over pork veggie mix in cups. Make sure to fill just slightly below rim of cups. The beaten egg will fill in around veggies so no need to worry.
Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes or until eggs have set. To check if the eggs have set, give the pan a little wiggle. No movement then you are good to go.
Muffins are best served warm but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheated later. Another suggestion, serve these with a little avocado or guacamole on the side. Sure to win your heart and your tummy!
Makes 12 egg muffins