I have added to the list of big Crossfit boo boo’s.  If you follow me on Instagram (multiplydelicious) than you might have seen the lovely photo I posted of my newly marked shin.  I will spare you by not posting it on here because if I did you won’t have much of an appetite for these shrimp cakes.  So I will tell you about it so you can envision it.  I will even give you the play by play.  Yesterday I decided to get up early and head to an earlier class than my normal time slot.  I like to think this accident came about by my lack of sleep, but no it would be bad of me to make that excuse.  We proceeded with our crazy warm-up lead by our awesome coach of the morning Kris then headed into some turkish get-ups and then into practicing our hand-stand push-ups (I seriously hate those).  Morning was off to a good start, I was sweating and life was good.  Then we set-up for our WOD of the day, those of you who aren’t familiar with crossfit that is the “workout of the day”.  The work out was this:

30 box jumps (girl’s 24″)

30 cal row

30 kettle bell swings (girl’s 35 pound kettle bell)

20 box jumps

20 cal row

20 kettle bell swings

10 box jumps

10 cal row

10 kettle bell swings

Looking at the board I knew RX was what I could and needed to do.  All was set up and I was on 27 of my first 30 box jumps when the 24″ box got me!!  And he got me good!  I have used the 24″ box on many occasions but a short shift of my attention and he had me.  I felt my shin scrape the side of the box and I thought to myself….”that freakin hurt”.  But being the only girl in the 6am class I didn’t want to give in to the tough guys in my class.  I took a deep breath and kept on jumping and continued until 11:59 when I completed the workout.  Feeling good that I only finished behind one other guy in my class.  I then realized the pain that was coming from my shin.  I lifted up my pants to find a beauty of a bloody scrape that took up most of my upper shin.  Crap that hurt!  Still does, damn wooden box!  Ahhhh, thank goodness it’s cold and we don’t live in Florida anymore.  I can cover it with pants and just pretend it never happened.  Ha!  Lesson learned, pay attention and don’t take your eyes off that 24″ box ever again.  The box may have won this time but I plan to win next!

Did I totally bore you?  Maybe I should have shown you the picture?  I promise I’m doing you a favor by not!  For all you non-crossfitting peeps out there I hope I didn’t scare you completely from the sport.  Oh!  Fun news in my little bubble.  My husband has finally decided to give Crossfit a go!  I have never been happier.  You see, I’ve been trying to convince him this thing called Crossfit pretty much rocks.  I’ve told you that, right?  Only a few times, right?  But seriously he finally caved in, it’s only taken me 1 1/2 years to get him to finally do it.  He went to his first class on Saturday and then the intro 3-hour elements class last night and got up this morning and headed to a 6 am class.  Addicted you think?  The funny thing that he told me this morning after not being able to sleep last night.  He said he couldn’t stop thinking about Crossfit!  Ha!  You see he used to think I was crazy when I said those exact same words.  Ladies and Gentlemen….Crossfit is an addicting thing so be warned.  Only kidding!  But I guess it is becoming that in my crazy family.  Even the 5 year old’s want to start!

I’m going to shut up and proceed to the recipe.  Shrimp Cakes….make them, they are delish!  Especially with a big dollop of guacamole.  I love guacamole!  These cakes came about after me being completely bored of the other protein I had been consuming of late.  These didn’t last long to say the least.  And a little interesting nutrition tidbit for you on shrimp.  We don’t usually think about seafood as a source of antioxidants, but shrimp features at least two unique antioxidants in its nutrient composition: the xanthophyll carotenoid called astaxanthin, and the mineral selenium.  And something else, at 6 grams per ounce, shrimp is an excellent source of protein. So eat up my friends and enjoy!

Shrimp Cakes

1 pound raw wild-caught shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped

1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped

2 green onion, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

3-4 teaspoons coconut flour (if you don’t have add about 1 tablespoons almond flour)

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Chop or dice shrimp into pieces.

In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix well to combine.  Allow mixture to sit to allow coconut flour soak up some of the liquid.  Mixture will be wet, but if it is too wet add just a little more coconut flour just until mixture can stick and form patties.

Meanwhile, add about 2 teaspoons coconut oil to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat.

Form shrimp mixture into evenly sized cakes.  I was able to make about 6 or 8.

Add cakes to heated skillet, but make sure not to over crowed the skillet.  You may have to cook 3 or 4 at a time.  Allow the cakes to cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping.  If you try to flip too soon the cakes will break apart so it’s important to allow them to cook.  Once they have cooked on one side carefully flip and allow cakes to cook on other side until cooked through.  It won’t take too long for these cakes to cook.  Repeat with remaining cakes.

Serve warm.  I highly recommend serving with fresh guacamole. In the photo above I served the cakes over a zucchini and carrot salad which I will be sharing that recipe in the upcoming e-cookbook release.

Makes about 6 to 8 shrimp cakes

21 Responses to Southwest Shrimp Cakes

1. Becky says:

Sorry to hear of the box biting you- ow! Those shrimp cakes look great! My husband and I started paleo on the 2nd and really loving it so far. This morning, I noticed I have an over abundance of cilantro in the refrigerator and was thinking we’d do Mexican tonight. I’ve also got shrimp in the freezer- so I’ll be trying these instead!!

2. Jasmine says:

Love your site! We’ve tries bunches of your recipes and so far have loved them all :) Super excited that your hubs is finally on board with CrossFit! This may be a silly question, but what size shrimp do you use or are the wild caught a certain size already? My family loves shrimp and this would be an interesting new way to try it. Thanks for sharing your family and recipes with us!

Thanks so much Jasmine! I’m happy to hear your family has enjoyed some of the recipes from the blog.
    The shrimp were about medium sized. You chop the shrimp up into pieces so it really doesn’t matter too much on their size. As long as you start with about a pound of shrimp you should be good to go. :)

4. Amanda Finnegan says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Just made it and served it on a bed of sautéed kale. Hubs and I LOVED it!

5. Courtney says:

I just love your blog– I incorporated a lot of your recipes into my weekly mean plan I was busy making :) You made it a lot easier!
    The shin hurts soo bad when it meets the box… hope it heals super fast (coming from a fellow Crossfitter that has had the shin to box incident happen!). Can’t wait to continue to check out your blog!

6. Your poor shin! My sister was doing box jumps for Crossfit about a month ago. She was on her last jump of several sets and had muscle fatigue. She didn’t make it all the way up, her foot hit the edge of the box, and she and the box went flying in opposite directions. She broke her humerus bone into 5 pieces. She had surgery and they put 11 pins in her arm. She has surgery again in 2 weeks to take them out. Isn’t that so sad? I’m glad you only scraped your shin, even if it hurts like heck. I haven’t done crossfit, but she started doing it at the same time she went paleo and lost 25 pounds in 4 months, so injuries aside it sure sounds worth it!

7. Dee says:

The very same thing happened to me! Except it was after an exhausting day at work. Took it right down to the shin bone, now only the scar remains(not very pretty I might add) Thanks for the stories and of course the amazing recipes that I often use!!

8. Mellissa says:

My husband and I made these this morning and really enjoyed them. We will be making again, for sure! Thanks for sharing!

This recipe sounds delicious! Sorry about your shin. I had my first box jump fail this summer, after over two years of crossfitting. I still have a nasty scar from it and it has been over 6 months! Yeah for your hubs starting crossfit! It took my husband a year and a half of hearing me rave about it before he started going. He is addicted now, too!

10. Jackie says:

These look delicious!! Can’t wait to try!

11. Crystal says:

You are amazing, and I don’t know what I would have done without your site in my Primal transition. I think I pretty much pin everything that you make. Some of your creations have been life savers. Thank you!

12. Tiffany says:

This was amazing. I’m new to the paleo way but this was so freaking good! My mom tried it as well because I kept gushing about them and she says” How can something healthy taste this good!?” Like I was lying to her or something! I came across your blog since I was tired of eating the same ole bland chicken recipes along with eating the tuna out the can! (Since I’m short on time) I will continue trying all your recipes thank you so much!

13. Jackie says:

Do you think I could bake this recipe?

Hi Jackie,
    I haven’t tried baking these so I can’t honestly say but if you try it let us know.

15. Elizabeth says:

I stumbled across your website this morning via PaleOMG and I’ve can’t wait to try these. I’ve always been afraid of crab cakes and the like because you honestly never know what is in them so this is on my list of recipes to try next week (I’m only about a month into paleo so I like seeing there are so many recipes out there!)

16. Salina M says:

I can’t wait to try these!

17. Jasmine says:

Hey Heather, I finally had a chance to make these a few weeks ago, and they were AMAZING! Even my 2 year old gobbled them up. Thanks again for sharing all of your tasty recipes with us.

18. CanadianMama says:

These look great! I’m wondering though if the shrimp should be raw or cooked. Your recipe doesn’t state. Thanks :)

Hi there,
    The shrimp shouldn’t be cooked. Keep them raw in the mixer and cook as a whole patty.

20. […] source:  Adapted from Multiply Delicious Pin […]