This weekend I celebrated another year older….why is it as a kid you want to be older and now that you are older you want to be younger?  Hmmm?  I may be a year older but I don’t feel it.  Ok, maybe I feel it a little but I honestly think it’s all due to the crossfit these days.  They are working us hard!  I have never worked my snatch so much but it’s paying off!  I hated them before, but now I’m warming up to this hard move.  This weekend I was not only spoiled by wonderful husband and two munchkins but also by my mom.  She made the trip up to help out and really to babysit on Saturday night so we could go out for my birthday.  Thanks mom!  Another reason why making the move to NC has been great.  My husband really out did himself for my birthday this year.  On Saturday we headed out to a local organic farm for a Farm to Table dinner cooked by Johnson and Wales chefs.  It was fabulous!  Not only were we feed amazing food but we also were served great wine.  AND you know what?!  My husband, the wonderful guy he is, requested my meal to be Paleo!!  Pretty freakin awesome, right?!  So my meal was catered to my crazy Paleo ways which made me extremely happy!  But honestly the whole thing made me happy.  What is better than sitting outside under the stars with fresh air and being surrounded by gardens all while eating a wonderful meal!  Pretty fabulous and a birthday I will always remember as being one of my favorites!

Let’s talk pudding and how this recipe came about.  My wonderful 4 year olds were determined they wanted to make something sweet for my birthday.  Not like they aren’t sweet enough!  After much discussion and many ideas we decided on attempting a Paleo chocolate pudding!  Why in the world did I not decide on doing this sooner?  Seriously!  This stuff is pretty amazing and no one will ever know what you’ve put in it!  Avocado, I know scary to think or consider but this stuff is addicting.  I don’t know who was more excited after we finished the pudding, me or the girls.  And what is pudding without whipped cream?  you can tell as a child whipped cream was an essential to my pudding intake.  Now that I don’t do dairy at all (my poor tummy can’t handle the stuff) so coconut milk is my replacement….and it’s pretty tasty stuff I do have to say.  The recipe below makes a little more than you will have pudding but you can cover and keep in the refrigerator for a couple days and use it on your coffee or on another sweet treat.

And for all of my readers who have asked for a PRINT option, take a look what I added below.  Yay!  Now let’s see if it works though. Ha!

Enjoy everyone!

Chocolate Paleo Pudding with Coconut Whip Cream

PRINT RECIPE

2 ripe avocado

2 ripe banana

4 medjool dates, pits removed

1/2 cup cacao powder

1 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch of sea salt

Place all ingredients into a bowl of a food processor.  Process until all ingredients are smooth and well incorporated.

Transfer pudding to bowls of choice and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before serving.

Top pudding with Coconut Whip Cream and fresh fruit or on it’s own.

Makes about 3 to 4 servings of pudding.

Coconut Whip Cream

1 can coconut milk (full fat)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Place canned coconut milk in refrigerator overnight.

Open can without shaking or turning upside down. Carefully spoon out the top layer of thick coconut cream that has gathered at the top and add to a mixing bowl.  Leave the white liquid part at the bottom of the can in the can.

Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to the coconut cream and any additional flavoring of choice.

Whip the coconut milk with hand mixer (or standing mixer) until creamy.  Start on low and move to a higher speed.  Mix for about 5 minutes or until you have thick whipped peaks.

Whip cream can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.

23 Responses to Chocolate Paleo Pudding with Coconut Whip Cream

1. Shelley says:

What do you do with the remaining liquid in the can of coconut milk?

Hi Shelley,

You can use the remaining liquid that is left in smoothies. At least that’s what I did here. Or you can discard all together, but a good can of coconut milk is valueable in my house. :)

3. Chris says:

Happy belated birthday, Heather!! I love avocado in pudding so I’m sure I’d love this recipe! Hope you are well :)

4. Tanya Favara says:

How many servings did this recipe make? Looks delish!

Hi Tanya!
    It makes about 3 to 4 servings. It also depends on if you can control yourself from just eating one serving. :)

Thanks Chris! I hope you are doing well too!

7. Tamzin says:

Wow they sound delicious : )

8. Carly says:

Hello! First, I love your website. I started eating paleo a couple months ago and I love it and the results. I use recipes from your site several times a week. I’ve been avoiding most dessert recipes b/c I don’t have a food processor and never really needed one before. A lot of paleo dessert use dates and a food processor, was wondering if you could provide a recommendation on a food processor?! Thanks! And again LOVE your recipes!

Hi Carly! Welcome to paleo and I’m happy you found the blog and have tried the recipes. :) Food Processors are on the pricey side but they are a great investment. I use mine all the time. Especially when recipes call for dates. Helps me break them up instead of soaking them in water to soften. I have the 14 cup Cuisinart and I like it a lot.

10. kelley says:

Made this tonight. DELISH. I didn’t even wait for it to chill or make the coconut whip cream. So easy too!

11. […] Chocolate Paleo Pudding with Coconut Whip Cream by Multiply Delicious – a nutritious and delicious chocolate pudding recipe! […]

12. […] Chocolate avocado mousse […]

13. Lori says:

This reminds me of the old jello “Pudding in a Cloud” recipe I used to make for my daughter. She’s grown up now, and will be visiting in a couple of months… and she asked for Pudding in a Cloud… now I can give it to her… paleo style!!

14. Brenda says:

I so can’t wait to make this! I’ve never bought avacodo before. Any advise on picking out the right ones? Great site BTW!!

Hi Brenda!
    When choosing; a ripe, ready-to-eat avocado, they should be slightly soft but should have no dark sunken spots or cracks. Keep unripe avocados at room temperature. To speed ripening, place in a paper bag with an apple or banana; to stop ripening, refrigerate for up to two days

16. OMG I just found your blog through PaleOMG and I am obsessed!! How did I not find you sooner?! Can’t wait to try all your recipes!

17. patty says:

I would love to try this!

18. Jess says:

So, I made this tonight and holy moly, it was tasty. I substituted the dates and maple syrup for a couple of figs preserved in honey (because I had them on hand), and I seriously couldn’t believe how good this was. It was so rich! Definitively making again and so happy I found your site!

19. Jackie says:

Can the dates be substituted for something else?

Jackie, You can use maple syrup or honey to sweeten the pudding instead of the dates. Or you could leave them out too due to the banana’s.

21. Diedre says:

This was so good. My 3 1/2 yr old loves it and he does not like to eat any veggies. I told him avocados were in it and he still loved it. I used some frozen bananas since I did not have any ripe fresh bananas. I have been exploring the Paleo diet as I am trying to give up grains. I read “It starts with food” and have considered a Whole30 challenge but coming across recipes like this whould make it very difficult to complete the 30 days. Hope you enjoy NC as I love my hometown of Charlotte

22. Elise says:

For the pudding are you using coconut milk from a can (mixed/separated) or drinking coconut milk? Thanks