These patties rocked my world this week and saved the day and night.  Meaning they were eaten for my lunch and dinner.  Don’t you love it when that happens?  I actually even ate them one morning after CrossFit for my breakfast.  Packed with great protein and carbs and when you top with guacamole you get a great fat added to the equation….beautiful!

I wish I had more interesting things to tell you but I’m knee deep in last minute to-do list as the family and I headed on a little vaca!  Yippee!!!  I need it guys…like seriously need it.  We are headed out to spend some time with family and meet our new niece which arrived to this world at the beginning of June.  We are all super excited to meet her.

Before I head off I have to share another photo of my future food photographer.  I had to shoot these patties after the sun went down and using my handy lights to add “pretend” light.  Not my favorite option but after one bite I knew I had to tough it and shoot them in my not so favorite conditions just so I could share with all of you….yes I love you!

Enjoy the patties everyone!

Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties

2 green onion, finely chopped

1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny little cubes

2 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped (leaves only)

1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped

1 egg

2 tablespoons coconut flour

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil (or bacon grease) add green onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until barely tender.  Add kale and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Set aside.

Add chicken to a food processor and process on pulse until ground.  Transfer meat to a large mixing bowl.  Add salt, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, rosemary, egg, coconut flour, and sweet potato mix.  Mix together with hands until well combined.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or even better overnight.

Divide your chicken mixture into 6 to 7 even patties.

Coat a large non-stick pan with coconut oil or even better bacon grease to just coat the bottom (not a lot).  Add patties and cook until golden crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook until golden and cooked through.

Serve as is or with a side salad.  I used a little guacamole, which was delicious!

77 Responses to Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties

1. Ashley says:

Wow these look amazing!!! YUM

2. Shell says:

These look delicious, I will definitely try them. I am new here but I am just loving your recipes, as are my daughters (4 year old twins too). Thanks heaps.

3. B. Ann says:

These look great! I am hating myself for asking this dumb question, but I’ll put on the dunce hat b/c I really want to make these: Is the 1 lb of chicken cooked prior to being in the food processor? Or is it put in raw and then cooked as the formed patties?

Hi B Ann,

No question is a dumb question :) the chicken should be uncooked when you place in the food processor. Once formed into a patty you then cook.
    Thanks!

5. Tesei says:

These look so, so good. I totally understand that look on your sweet little ones waiting for the photo shoot to finish and get their hands on them ;-)

6. [...] Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties [...]

7. Kathryn says:

Made these today!!! Yum yum yum… I’m going to add some chilli next time

8. [...] What a Plant Knows   Tired? Watch What You Eat   Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties [...]

9. Marsha says:

How would almond flour work ?

Hi Marsha,
    You can try to use almond flour but you might have to add more, closer to 1/4 cup. If you try them with almond flour let me know how they turn out.

Great idea Kathyrn! Glad you liked them. :)

12. Margo says:

My family LOVED this recipe! I have been trying tons of new paleo eats and they either love it or hate it…this one was by far their favorite! Thanks for posting.

13. Kara says:

I cooked up a big batch of these to have as breakfast for the week (I hate eggs!) and froze them and they came out incredible! SO yummy, especially cooked in a little bacon fat =)

Oh I’m so happy to hear Kara! And bacon fat always makes things taste super yummy! :)

15. [...] Dinner:  Sweet Potato and Kale (substituting spinach) Chicken Patties  [...]

16. Kerri says:

This looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it!! Do you think it would work with spinach instead of kale?
    Also, can I substitute regular all-purpose flour, or whole wheat flour, for the coconut flour?
    Thanks!

17. Kerri says:

Also, what about baking them instead of frying them?
    Thanks again! :)

18. Mimi says:

Looks so good….would ground lean chicken work in this recipe? Cant wait to try!

19. [...] of temptation I feel pretty good.  One of the benefits of this is finding great new recipes like this that have become [...]

Hi Mimi!
    I’m sure ground chicken would work for this recipe too. :)

Hi Kerri,
    I’m not sure how they would work baking them but I’m sure you can give it a try. Also I wouldn’t call these fried by any means, you don’t need too much “oil” when placing them in the saute pan, just enough to make sure the patties don’t stick.
    If you try baking them let me know.
    Good luck!

Hi Kerri,
    Spinach would be a great alternative to kale for these patties. As for all-purpose flour, I’m not a huge fan of this type of flour. The coconut flour has a lot more health benefits and you don’t need as much to thicken things. If you do use all-purpose you would need to use more than the recipe calls for in coconut flour. Coconut flour is a dense flour.
    All the best and good luck!

23. Jeff O. says:

Deliciously awesome! I added a splash of hot sauce on top, but I think a squeeze of lemon would have been good too.

24. [...] idea came from this recipe, but I changed the spices up and used spinach instead of [...]

25. [...] – Brussel Sprout, Kale and Bacon Salad (Don’t question it, just do it. Sooooo good!) – Sweet Potato, Kale and Chicken Patties (Made a big batch for lunch over the weekend and the boy has been enjoying leftovers this week [...]

26. Elaine says:

These are my new favorite thing. The first time I made them I subbed spinach for kale, egg whites for the egg, and shallots for the onion, and they came out delicious! I just made them again yesterday, using whole eggs and kale (and shallots) and they are even better! Now I have some formed into meatballs and am trying to bake them, and I’ll let you know how they turn out. Thanks so much for the recipe! :)

27. Lindsay says:

These sound great! I am living overseas right now so it’s not always easy to access good ingredients, but I did have some rice flour shipped to me. How does that compare to the coconut flour? (or to almond flour that you use in several of your other recipes I want to try)
    I’m so glad I came across your website!

28. [...] egg / chicken + veggie salad + oil+ vinegar dressing / Justin’s almond butter + half apple / sweet potato + kale chicken burger + sweet potato [...]

Hi Lindsay! Welcome to the blog and I’m so happy you found me. To be honest I haven’t worked too much with rice flour, but I’m sure you can replace with coconut flour. You might have to use more though because coconut flour goes a long way and is a dense flour compared to other flours, basically you don’t need much of it. I prefer coconut flour because it’s nutritional value compared to other flours and the fact that it’s gluten-free. Give the rice flour a try but I would test is by gradually adding more. You basically want the flour to hold the patties together and no have them too wet. I hope this helps.
    All the best!

30. Valerie says:

I made this tonight for dinner and the little one LOVED it! She asked to have it the next day for lunch. :-) Even my kale-hating husband enjoyed it. Nice recipe!

31. Lauren says:

So, I just made this but had some changes. I used ground turkey instead of chicken, grated the sweet potato instead of cubing it, and made it into a meatloaf instead of patties. Baked it in the oven at 375 for 55-60 minutes. It’s a great recipe! Definitely a keeper – especially if my husband and my friend enjoyed it and had seconds.

What a fabulous idea Lauren! I’m going to have to take your advise and do that next time! :)

33. Gayle says:

Has anyone tried this with raw cheese mixed in? I’m going to try these tomorrow and add a little raw havarti to it. I will let you know how it turns out.

34. Robin S says:

Thanks for the great recipe. These were a hit tonight!

35. Samantha Rahman says:

cooked these tonight. SO delicious!!! Excited about the leftovers.

36. [...] a hearty chicken soup with butternut squash and spinach. Or how about some kale and sweet potato chicken patties? Honestly, working these immune-boosting foods into your diet this season won’t be hard at [...]

37. Kitty says:

Do you have nutrional info for any of your recipes. I love your website but would love to know yet he nutrition info.

38. Karen says:

I made these and they tasted great, however, they fell apart while cooking. I gave up and didn’t cook the entire mixture. How can I keep them from falling apart when cooking them?

Hmmm…and you followed the recipe exactly? If your mix is too running I would suggest adding slightly more coconut flour. If the mixture is too dry leading to the crumbling you might need a little more liquid. Also it is key to let the patties cook on one side as long as possible like you would a pancake until flipping over. Too much flipping back and forth could lead to the patties falling apart.

40. Nina Barnes says:

hi again! After making the Apple Cackies and my 15 months old loving those I made these last night and she loved them too! You are the best, thank you for the great recipes!

41. [...] Ricotta PancakesPumpkin Oatmeal CupsHuevos Rancheros in Tortilla CupsLunchesWhite Chicken ChiliSweet Potato and Kale Chicken PattiesSlow Cooker Lentil SoupSweet Potato PancakesSlow Cooker Lentil SoupDinnersCreamy Baked Chicken [...]

42. Charmaine says:

I made these using turkey mince and spinach instead as I’m not a big fan of kale and turkey was in offer and fell in love with them immediately. So easy and great tasting – perfect to take to lunch with a salad.

43. Stephanie says:

Where do I get coconut flour?

Hi Stephanie,
    You can find coconut flour at most natural food stores. I get mine at Whole Foods. I’ve also seen it at Earth Fare. If you don’t have those by you, you can also find it online. Here is the brand I prefer that I found on Amazon: Coconut Secret Raw Coconut

45. Caryn Hand says:

The sweet potato kale chicken patties were AMAZING!! Wasn’t sure if we would like them or not, but they were tasty and with a little guacamole on top even tastier!! I used 1 TBSP of olive instead of the other oils mentioned to saute and I also substituted plain oatmeal for the almond flour. YUMMO!! I’m going to make a double batch this weekend to make patties ahead to freeze and pull out when we are hungry for them. Thanks!

46. Charlotte says:

Can you use a yam instead of a sweet potato or does that change the texture/flavor too much?

Hi Charlotte!
    A yam should work fine if you want to sub out the sweet potato for it. I think there shouldn’t be much change with the taste and texture either. :)

48. LOVING this! I think I may make them with butternut squash though! YUM :)

49. Katy says:

Hi, would these work without all that refrigeration time? I want to make these for dinner tonight but I get home too late to wait four hours to cook my dinner.They look delicious!

Hi Katy,

If you want you can cut the time down to 30 minutes. Letting it sit in the frig helps all the flavors blend and give the chicken extra flavor. It also helps in forming the patties when you take it out. I have made these without letting them sit in the frig and they taste good but not as good. :)