These patties rocked my world this week and saved the day and night.  Meaning they were eaten for my lunch and dinner.  Don’t you love it when that happens?  I actually even ate them one morning after CrossFit for my breakfast.  Packed with great protein and carbs and when you top with guacamole you get a great fat added to the equation….beautiful!

I wish I had more interesting things to tell you but I’m knee deep in last minute to-do list as the family and I headed on a little vaca!  Yippee!!!  I need it guys…like seriously need it.  We are headed out to spend some time with family and meet our new niece which arrived to this world at the beginning of June.  We are all super excited to meet her.

Before I head off I have to share another photo of my future food photographer.  I had to shoot these patties after the sun went down and using my handy lights to add “pretend” light.  Not my favorite option but after one bite I knew I had to tough it and shoot them in my not so favorite conditions just so I could share with all of you….yes I love you!

Enjoy the patties everyone!

Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties

2 green onion, finely chopped

1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny little cubes

2 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped (leaves only)

1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped

1 egg

2 tablespoons coconut flour

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil (or bacon grease) add green onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until barely tender.  Add kale and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Set aside.

Add chicken to a food processor and process on pulse until ground.  Transfer meat to a large mixing bowl.  Add salt, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, rosemary, egg, coconut flour, and sweet potato mix.  Mix together with hands until well combined.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or even better overnight.

Divide your chicken mixture into 6 to 7 even patties.

Coat a large non-stick pan with coconut oil or even better bacon grease to just coat the bottom (not a lot).  Add patties and cook until golden crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook until golden and cooked through.

Serve as is or with a side salad.  I used a little guacamole, which was delicious!

80 Responses to Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties

1. Katy says:

Thanks so much! I’m excited to whip these up. I’ll keep the leftovers in the fridge and that way one I cook will be a little tastier!

2. LP14 says:

Delicious, really flavorful! I made subbing (1) butternut squash for the sweet potato, (2) chili powder for the paprika (I was out and didn’t know it), and (3) oat bran for the coconut flour (I was out of coconut flour too), I also added some yellow onion to the green onions (I like onion!) and parsley and thyme with the kale. I also completely forgot to add the egg, but they held up better than almost any other patty I’ve made.

3. Melissa Leech says:

This looks like an amazing recipe, I have one question however, can you use ground chicken, that is store bought? or does that change the consistency? I am just trying to shorten the prep time because I don’t like cutting raw meet : /

Thank you for all of your life changing recipes.

Hi Melissa!
    Yes, you can use ground chicken instead grounding it up. :) I can totally understand wanting to cut down the time.

5. I made these for dinner tonight and they were fantastic! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to try not only a new recipe but a new food too..Kale!

6. Lisa says:

Had everything on hand except the chicken and flour, so I cooked everything else (minus the egg!) and served it as a side dish – tastes delicious! I grated the sweet potato. Will definitely try the patties though.

7. […] – Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties, Roasted Green Beans and […]

8. Stephanie says:

These sound great and I love any dish camouflages veggies from my kids:-) I can’t wait to try them!

9. Holly says:

Tried these last night for the first time. Hubby was skeptical but I showed him the picture of your kids taking the picture and said see… her kids like it, we will too! WE. LOVED. IT. Not knowing all of the Paleo rules, he asked for a few little pieces of bacon in it next time which I will do. We enjoy good ole fashioned healthy eating and I’m so glad I stumbled on your website (from BTNOTP). Thanks again! ~ Holly

10. Lara says:

My family was skeptical while I made these, but in the end they all ended up LOVING it–even my two picky kids! Thanks for an awesome new recipe to add into the rotation!

11. Anne says:

Loved the patty version, now rolling them up into “meat balls” for bite size yumminess!

12. Erin says:

These are great!! I put them together and left them in the fridge overnight for dinner the next day. I followed the recipe exactly except I had sweet rice flour on hand, so I used 2 heaping tablespoons of that and they held together perfectly. Definitely keeping this recipe on hand. Thanks!

13. Debbie says:

I made these for supper. They were outstanding. The recipe has been added to Ziplist and will be made again. Thank you.

14. amanda says:

Do you put the chicken breast in the food processor raw or cooked? This recipe looks great!

Hi Amanda,
    Chicken should be raw when placing in food processor. You can also use ground chicken too if you want to skip that part. :)

16. Alisha says:

hello,
    would i be able to use whole wheat flour in place of coconut flour?

i hope so,
    thanks!

Hi Alisha,

I’m gluten-free so I wouldn’t recommend the switch but if you need to you can. You will need to increase the amount though because coconut flour is denser than gluten flours like whole wheat flour. :) I would start with 1/4 cup and if mixture is too wet then add more until patties hold together.

18. Julie says:

This was easy and yummy!! Great recipe w/lots of options! I chopped my garlic and sauted (grapeseed oil) it w/the onions(sweet) and sweet potato. I also added all the ingredients in the processor after I processed the chicken. Added the egg first for a few pulses added the remaining ingredients for a few pulses and the flour last (which was garbanzo bean flour) and pulsed it all. It was plenty firm to make into patties after 4 hrs. As a test I’ll try less frig time in case I’m ever in a pinch for time. Hubby said he could have it once a week! THX!!!

19. Laura Campana says:

These were amazing!

20. Cristina says:

Will these work if you are using cooked shredded chicken to make the patties? I was planning to make these tonight but already cooked the chicken last night (ooops!)

Hi Cristina,

I wouldn’t recommend making these with already cooked chicken. They may not stick together if the chicken is already cooked. Sorry :(

22. I just had a baby and a friend gave us a bag of 10 of these frozen to make quick healthy meals. Oh My Goodness!! I loved them and can’t wait to make more thanks for sharing this terrific recipe. :)

23. Heidi says:

I wonder if I could use oats and grind them up, instead of coconut four

24. […] Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties […]

25. […] – Ham roll ups, fresh fruits and veggies with hummus dip (simple and one of my kids favorites) – Sweet Potato and Kale Patties (we used turkey last time and they were amazing) – Chicken and Broccoli […]

26. Karen says:

Very yummy! Made these for dinner tonight and I did a double batch–patties tonight, the rest into meatballs!

27. […] you’re excited about/interested in (for me, I’d google ideas for starting a garden, new recipes, make a pretend shopping cart of fun clothes for the summer, etc.) 2. A little snack! Packing a […]

28. […] Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties […]