Ok guys I’m going to keep this post short.  The little monkeys got a horrible cold at the end of last week so while playing doctor to them I managed to pick this bug up from them and have a low gas tank.  Basically I feel like crap!!  So much so that I don’t want to do a darn thing!  I haven’t been sick in the longest time but I think with everything going on in my crazy life my immune system was down compared to normal so of course the bug got me.  I have to say I forgot what it feels like to be sick too.  I contribute the changes in my diet to keeping most of the many other bugs the little ones have brought home this year.  And they have brought home a couple yucky ones!  Any way I’m tired and I’ve got a box of tissues attached to my side.  I cut out of work early today actually just so I could get a nap in before picking up the munchkins from school.  I woke up from a 2 hour nap still tired.  Booo!  I don’t know when the last time I’ve been able to take a nap though and it was pretty awesome.  Especially on a overcast day…..ahhh

Now lets talk muffins.  I had zucchini and carrots on hand and wanted to make something with them, but somethign more in lines with a “treat”.  I actually attempted two versions of these muffins.  One using almond flour and one using coconut flour.  The coconut flour was by far the better muffin.  The almond flour was ok but nothing compared to the coconut flour version.  So with that being said I’m going to share the coconut flour version below, trust me it’s better….a whole lot better!  I made these especially for the little monkeys as a easy breakfast grab since lately breakfast has been quite the battle.  Actually, every meal is a battle these days.  Not sure what new leaf they have turned over these days but they are extremely picky and anything green that they used to love is no longer coming close to their mouth.  So I did something I never wanted to do as a parent, but I did….I shredded zucchini and carrots and added it to a muffin in the attempt to get some veggies into two little girls.  Oh well, got to do what you gotta do.  These are sweetened with only banana and dates and the added spice from the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves takes the muffins to a new level.

Ok, my nose is off to the races so while I run to get tissue and head off to do my homework for this week I’m going to leave you with some interesting facts I came across last week while doing research on delayed food allergies for my class….

From an article from the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) it was revealed that more than 75% of the money spent on health care is spent on chronic conditions. It indicates that a great deal of these chronic conditions are the direct result of food toxicities; easily treatable by simply removing the foods from your diet.  BUT, with only 270 million people in this country more than 2.9 billion prescriptions are written every year (generating a whopping $131.9 billion for the pharmaceutical companies). Many of these prescriptions mask the conditions caused by food toxicity and rarely lead to a cure.  Scary information especially that our healthcare industry is eager to write a prescription instead of simply testing to see if a food allergy might be the culprit!

Interesting?  Right?

I’ll be back later this week sharing more…stay tuned…

Zucchini Carrot Spiced Muffins

1/2 cup ripe banana

4 organic mejool dates, pitted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1/2 cup carrot, shredded

1/2 cup zucchini, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 12-cup pan with paper liners of grease with coconut oil.

In a microwave safe bowl place 4 dates and 1 tablespoon water and microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Remove from microwave and mash with a fork.  Add an additional 1 tablespoon water and microwave for another 30 seconds and mash.

Add date mixture along with banana, vanilla extract, and eggs in a bowl of a food processor.  Process until smooth.

In a small bowl whisk together dry ingredients (coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking soda).  Add dry ingredients into bowl of food processor with the wet ingredients and process until well combine.  Stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Remove blade in food processor and stir in shredded carrots and zucchini to the mixture as well as the melted coconut oil.  Stir until everything is incorporated.

Using a ice cream scoop evenly distribute the batter into the prepared muffin cups.  Sprinkle tops with additional zucchini and carrots and cinnamon.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden.

Let cool and serve.  Enjoy!

15 Responses to Carrot Zucchini Spiced Muffins

1. Mrs.Buck says:

OOh, these look so good! Pinning them now and can’t wait to make them!

2. Katrina says:

These sound fabulous! I love carrot muffins in any form.

3. Trui says:

Is there a substitute that can be used for the dates? Also, would regular AP flour work instead of coconut flour? I have never seen coconut flour in the grocery stores.

Hi Trui,
    You can use extra banana or figs to replace the dates.
    As for AP flour, I can’t say honestly. Coconut Flour is not a 1:1 when it comes to comparison to AP Flour. Coconut Flour is very dense which is why you usually have more eggs when baking with it. Do you have a Health Food store in your area? They usually have coconut flour. You can also find online. :)

5. Caroline says:

Made these this morning. Delicious!! The house smells great, too. I made 6 regular size muffins and 12 minis for my toddler. She gobbled them up! Great portable snack for the car. Thanks!

6. angela says:

have been meaning to make these muffins for a while and finally got to them today with fresh zucchini from the garden. they were delicious! thanks again for another great recipe!!!!!!

7. Josselyn says:

I stopped eating wheat a few weeks ago and feel great, and this weekend I wanted to give wheat-free baking a go. I used to bake regularly, and with the fall and holidays swiftly approaching I wanted to start trying-out new recipes now so I know what I’m doing later. My question about these muffins, and coconut flour based baked goods, is how well do they keep? 1 day? 3? A week? and do you leave them out, or put them in the fridge? Do they freeze well? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Hi Josselyn,
    Welcome to the journey of being gluten-free. It really changed my life so I’m hoping it will do the same for you. As for baked goods, I usually store them in the fridge. They keep longer and when I say longer up to a week. If you don’t eat them within a week you can freeze them too. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just let me know. :)

9. Kaitlyn says:

These look delicious I cannot wait to try them. I recently started Paleo, less than a week actually, but these will definitely be on the to make list. Do you have any idea how these would ship? My friend who is on Paleo deploys soon and I’ve decided I’m going to send him Paleo baked goods. If you have suggestions for recipes you think might ship well that’d be awesome too. Thanks!

Hi Kaitlyn!
    To be honest I wouldn’t ship these especially over a long distance. If you head over to the Paleo tab which lists out all the recipes I would recommend some of the paleo cookie recipes or even the fruity chocolate paleo bars as a good choice to ship. Just make sure you ship them frozen and even with a ice pack. I hope this helps. :)

11. Donna says:

These look fantastic…a great paleo autumn treat!..I recently joined your site and love your innovative ideas..superb photography and “phood philosophy” in general!

Question…I see that you created, in your pre-paleo days, a “zucchini-carrot muffin” using regular all-purpose flour…How do these paleofied versions compare height, texture (density)and – most importantly – taste-wise? Do you and your family appreciate them equally?

I am adamant about paleo adaptations..but sometimes get “the comments/backlash” that grain-free/paleo versions are…take your pick…Too heavy…lacking “height”..”not-as-pretty”…or taste “too healthy”…It’s crazy difficult to wean the troops off of their grain/refined sugar fare sometimes…but we are arriving and I keep experimenting!..Thanks for offering much appreciated inspiration!

Hi Donna!
    Thanks for your comment. I have to say that Paleo is a way of life now so I of course (and my kids and husband) like the Paleo versions of baked goods over the not so healthy grain and sugar laden alternatives that I used to make in my kitchen. I have to relearn my kitchen in order to make things differently but I wouldn’t have trade it for the world because we all feel (and look) better then we did pre-paleo. Yes, things will look and maybe taste different from the things you once baked but now I would prefer them over any other thing out there. I don’t see them as being heavy or dense. I try to post recipes here that I feel taste good in my opinion and my families. However, others of course have different opinions. I have heard from readers that bake some of the paleo goodies and people (and kids) that aren’t paleo would never guess otherwise. My kiddos amaze me now because they prefer things we make in our kitchen over other things that they have at friends houses and birthdays. I hope this helps a little. :)

13. Carolyn says:

Hi, can you guide me on the dates and softening step without using the microwave. I don’t have one anymore and do not use one for health reasons. Would soaking the dates overnight help ?

Carolyn,
    You can place dates in a glass bowl and add hot water (but not boiling) to just cover dates and allow them to soften for about 10 minutes. Then using a fork mash the dates with the water still in mixture.

15. […] (Adapted from Multiply Delicious’ muffins) […]