Bread….let me tell you a little something about me and bread.  It was necessity in my diet before walking down the Paleo road.  It was something I had to have at every meal…so embarrassed to say that but so very true.  Growing up on our typical dinner plate there was always a basket of bread and was considered one of our side dishes.  I couldn’t wait for that part of the meal!  I would keep the “bread” on my plate and eat it last….save the best for last was my motto.  My mom didn’t know any better because everything pointed you in the direction that “grains” are good.  The USDA has skewed all Americans into believing we should consume 6 to 11 servings of grains a day (most of it due to cheap production and government marketing to help aid commerce)!  Talk about a lot of empty calories!  No wonder you are always eating when you consume grains, they aren’t nutrient-rich!  Does it make sense why the government encourages such a high level of grain intake in your diet?  You spend more!!  For a very long time I thought this was the right road too.  You’ll even find recipes on here that I made prior to going Paleo that are in that “whole grain” direction (which I’ve considered deleting).  This was of course before I was introduced to the wonderful thing called Paleo and it changed my life….and my health!  I now know that “grains” are not essential and in all honesty not the best form of a whole food. Grains, a food group that we didn’t eat for 97% of our human existence, aren’t good for most mammals as they cannot be digested properly!  Grains contain gluten (aka grain lectin) and phylates.  Lectins are resistant to stomach digestion and cause gut inflammation as they destroy the gut lining leading to small “microperforations” or tiny holes in your intestinal lining!  These holes allow toxic substances to enter into your bloodstream and can lead to many autoimmune conditions.

Grains are also full of carbohydrates and elevate insulin levels.  Processed grains when broken down turn into glucose (blood sugar) quickly.  When this process occurs the body responds by releasing insulin to lower the blood sugar.  If there is too much blood sugar in the system, your body runs out of places to store it as useful energy, and will store any excess as body fat.  If there is too much insulin is in your system, your cells become desensitized and the pancreas is prompted to release even more insulin when your body doesn’t need it.  Summary: Grains (aka carbs) are making everyone fat and diabetic!

Wow, that was a little much…sorry.  Now, this bread doesn’t have all those things that I just got done talking about.  This Paleo Herb Bread recipe is Paleo friendly meaning grain-free, but full of taste.  I’m in love with it because yes there are times where I miss bread but don’t want all the negatives that my body has when consuming bread.  So have a slice and enjoy!

Paleo Herb Bread

1 ½ cups blanched almond flour

2 tablespoons coconut flour

2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal

2 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice (I used rosemary and thyme), chopped

¼ teaspoon sea salt

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

¼ cup coconut oil, melted

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan.  Set aside.

Place almond flour, coconut flour, flax, herbs of choice, salt, baking soda in a food processor and pulse together to combine.  Pulse in eggs, oil, and vinegar.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  If the top is getting to brown place a piece of aluminum foil over the top to allow the top from over browning.

Cool and slice and top with raw grass-fed butter….or nothing at all.

NOTE: If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand you can use dried herbs but just use less of them.  Maybe ½  to 1 teaspoon each of the dried herb of choice.  I have used my favorite pizza seasoning and dried oregano before too which gives you a pizza like bread….great for those that are missing their pizza on a paleo diet.

Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry, Paleo Bread Recipe

36 Responses to Paleo Herb Bread

1. Ashley says:

Thanks for this recipe! I made a variation of it last night and it is so good! It’s almost gone! You can see it on my blog here:

Yay! So happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe Ashley. I’m going to have to try your version next time…looks delicious! :)

3. Kelly says:

This should work fine if I double it and pour into two loaf pans, right? Not quite sure yet if there are any issues with doubling gluten free baking recipes.

Hi Kelly,
    You should have a problem at all doubling the recipe and baking in two loaf pans. :)

5. Tamena says:

Looks yummy! How much coconut oil, though? It only says 1/4. 1/4 cup?? Tsp? Thanks!

6. Kelly Clark says:

Looooved this bread with cauli fauxed mashed potatoes and paleo meatloaf! I added minced garlic.

7. Kelly Clark says:

Faux, not fauxed! Haha.

Oops! 1/4 cup. Thanks Tamena! :)

9. I just made this today, it was absolutely delicious! I have truly missed eating bread being on a gluten-free, dairy free diet. Thanks for the recipe :)

10. Marianne says:

Hi…want to try this but my daughter is allergic to nuts. is there something I can use instead of almond flour??

11. Roxanne says:

This is truly the most lovely paleo bread I’ve tried yet. Full of flavor and so close to the real thing.

I used Herbs de Provence in mine.

Thanks for the recipe!!

12. [...] the side, we enjoyed some Paleo Herb Bread, made from an almond flour recipe.  The thing we are learning about nut flour is that it is very [...]

13. Rachael says:

is there a specific type of Baking soda needed to make Paleo type breads? I just made a paleo flax bread and it did NOT rise at all- so we were left with a short dense loaf, and I had company coming! yikes.

Looking for the real deal to prepare for my son going to school for some sandwiches here and there etc.,

Rachael

Hi Rachel, no specific baking soda. I used a version from whole foods, but I’m sure it doesn’t matter which you use. All the best!

15. YM says:

Hello! I just made this bread last night and it’s delicious!! I was curious – how long will this keep and should I put in the fridge? Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!

Hi! To keep them longer I would recommend storing these in the fridge or even the freezer. They are great heated up. I’m so happy you enjoyed them too!

17. [...] by a divine olive oil artisan bread yesterday, I searched for a Paleo herb bread recipe. I found Multiply Delicious’ Paleo Herb Bread recipe, and decided to use their delicious recipe as my inspiration for an Artisan Garlic & Herb [...]

18. Julie says:

Hi Heather! My kids helped me make this last night for the first time and I’m so thrilled it turned out! Absolutely delicious. Thank you for an easy, brilliant recipe!

19. Shannon says:

For some reason my bread did not come out great.. It was very grainy, salty, and oily. I am not sure what I did wrong, it looks completely different then the pictured posted, so I am thinking it was me :(

20. Erin says:

I followed this recipe exactly, using rosemary and thyme, and it turned out nicely. It did have a strong baking soda taste….next time I make it do you think I could reduce the baking soda to 1 tsp? Thanks for yet another great recipe!

21. [...] recipe inspired by and photography from the blog MultiplyDelicious [...]

22. B says:

I made this the other night and was super excited about it. It looked awesome and smelled great! But the taste was off. and the texture…or the consistency…I mean I didn’t expect it to be the same texture as “normal” bread, but it seemed to be holding a lot of moisture. Any suggestion on how to change that? Or is that supposed to be how it is? Even after toasting it, is was still “soggy”. Any advice?

Thanks!

23. Meaghan says:

I was just wondering if you could use 2 Tbs additional almond flour instead of the flaxseed meal?

24. Emma R says:

What’s the purpose of the flaxseed meal in this bread? Is there a substitute for it or could it be left out?

Hi Emma,

You can leave the flaxseed meal out, maybe just add a little more almond flour to replace it.

26. wow what a great tasty delicious recipe! Substituted the almond flour with sesame flour (made in my thermomix), since I am allergic to nuts and replaced the eggs with a tablespoon of physillium husks because I am allergic to eggs as well. Really wish i could hqve your ebook!

27. [...] want to thank Multiply Delicious for creating such an amazingly simple and delicious Paleo bread recipe!  We will be making this [...]

28. [...] And upon perusing the holy grail that is Pinterest, I came across this Paleo friendly bread from Multiply Delicious. I did not revise this recipe, but I do want to share it because I will post later on how to use [...]

29. [...] over at Multiply Delicious for posting and sharing. You can find her recipe and gorgeous bread here, and my version right below! Enjoy and share the [...]

30. Hello! I’ve been on an on and off paleo kick recently and found your blog in the process. Thank you for posting and sharing your recipe. I’ve made this recipe a few times and it is very tasty! I recently blogged about it here: Joie’s Appetite

31. Taryn says:

I have made this in the past with success! I was recently given a large amount of garlic from a neighbor so, I’ve been trying to use it up. I roasted a small head of garlic and added it to the bread. It turned out terrific! Love having a Herbed Paleo bread and now a Roasted Garlic Herb Paleo bread. I just added the garlic cloves at the end and did 2 quick pulses to leave hunks of roasted garlic intact.

32. Marianna Kiva says:

Hi,
    I have made the bread from Elana’s website and it did not turn out well at all.I am not sure what happened. I have used only 1 1/2 cups of almond flour , which is her updated version and yet it still had a dry look about it. The batter was super dry and it crumbled even before I attempted to place them into the pan. However, I shall try once more. Any advice?
    Marianna

Hi!

I’ve made this bread many times now, with a couple of changes, and it’s great every time. Anyone having trouble, try this, with the rest of the recipe the same:

3C almond flour (I used meal, which I like)
    1/2C coconut oil
    1Tbsp baking soda
    3 whole eggs
    1/2C egg white
    2T honey or maple syrup
    Crushed walnut, rosemary, and/or cranberries

34. Beth Goins says:

I tried the herb buns off of your NYE menu, it tasted a bit too salty as if I put in too much baking soda. I followed the directions on the recipe. It’s supposed to have 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda correct? Is there anything I can do to change this? I love all of your recipes though, everything I made thus far has turned out great! I made my husband the chocolate doughnuts, he LOVED them! Thanks!

35. […] Key ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, eggs, mixed herbs, baking soda, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar Check out the recipe here […]