I played around with a oldie but one of my favorite Paleo cookies from the recipe box.  If you like the Banana Chocolate Chip Cakies then you might like these little Paleo cookie treats.  I really didn’t change much but added some cacao powder and removed the apple butter from the mix.  I was in the need for a chocolate treat and these so satisfied that chocolate tooth I had.  Like the original recipe these cookies are super soft.  So if you are a soft cookie lover, these are for you!

This week will be a little limited on the blog….sorry in advance. I’m taking off for a spring break vaca with the little ones.  We aren’t headed too far, just off to visit some family a little further north.  We are all looking forward to getting away from it all.  We have a busy week ahead of us filled with a lot of activities.  With all that being said I’m going to keep this short so I can finish packing and doing all those things you do before heading away.  I’m sure I’ll forget something…always seems to happen!

Before I say farewell, I have to share this picture with you.  I think I have future food bloggers on my hand…or they are so used to seeing mommy taking pictures of the food.  What do you think?  They both insisted they needed to take pictures with their camera’s before I cleaned up.  I think they got more photo’s then I did!

Enjoy the cookies!  See you back here soon!

Double Chocolate Cakies

Print Recipe

1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 bananas)

2 tablespoons almond butter

3 1/2 teaspoons cacao powder

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (just because I love cinnamon)

1 1/4 cup almond flour

1/4 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

In a large bowl, mash bananas using a hand mixer.  Add almond butter, cacao powder, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix to combine using hand mixer.  Add almond flour to bowl and mix everything until well mixed.  Stir in chocolate chips/chunks into batter until well incorporated.

Scoop even scoops using a ice cream/cookie scoop and place on prepared baking sheet.  Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden on tops and bottom.

Note: Cookies are even better the next day.  Due to their “cake” like texture I prefer to keep them in the refrigerator so they stay fresh longer, but they probably won’t last too long.

Makes 10 to 12 cookies

43 Responses to Double Chocolate Cakies

1. jena curtis says:

you should put a PIN button,so we can add your recipes to Pinterest……

2. 2boys2joys says:

Making them now with the help of my youngest! :) Love your website!

3. Jasmine says:

I’m so glad to have discovered your blog. Your recipes are amazing! I made these cakies today and they were a hit with my whole family. They taste so decadent, it’s hard to believe that they’re healthy.

4. HeatherZ says:

I gave these a try last night. Not only are they whipped up in a snap, but they are very tasty (and I omitted the chocolate chips because I didn’t have any). Just sweet and chocolatey enough to satisfy that nasty sugar devil that I.just.can’t.flick.off.my.shoulder. Thanks for posting!

I know Jena, I need to figure how to add that. :)

6. Nancy says:

you need a pin button. These cookies are the very best and must be pinned! I have made them twice since getting the recipe.

7. Jasmine says:

I always have trouble using pin buttons embedded on blogs – it never seems to work. So I always use the pin bookmarklet button on my toolbar (or in my bookmarks on iPad). I’ve pinned a lot of recipes from here, and they always get lots of repins. Like I said earlier – your recipes are amazing :)

8. Brianne says:

I just made these, and the BATTER is delicious!!! I had to remind myself that the batter was for baking, and not for eating. I can’t wait to try the cookies.

And Heather — FYI — I recently added a “plugin” on my WordPress blog that adds a little “pin it” button to the bottom of each post. It was really easy — I just went to the plugins section, searched for a Pinterest plugin, and clicked on the first one I saw. It added a “pin it” button to each post… Works like magic!

9. Jennifer says:

These are heavenly, and I’m not a huge chocolate person! I just blinked and 2 of them were gone. :-) I substituted unsweetened carob chips and just a pinch of stevia. I can’t wait to make the banana cakies next. I will certainly have to hide these from my boys!

Hi Jennifer!
    So happy you enjoyed the cookies. They do disappear quickly. :)
    I need to get my hands on the unsweetened carob chips and try those in the cookies. Sounds delish!

11. Paleogirl says:

These look delicious, and I love that I have all of these ingredients on hand. The simplest recipes are often the best.

12. Faith@ecoike says:

These were soooo good! I omitted the almond butter (only b/c I didn’t have) and added one packet of stevia. They were scarfed up immediately! Thanks for another great recipe :)

13. Steph says:

Made these for a co-worker that has to have gluten free / sugar free and he loved them. They were very good and so moist. Thank you for sharing your recipe

14. Bree says:

YUM!!! Mine don’t look as moist as yours (used similar ingredients from australia) but still very tasty.

15. [...] which makes it that soft cakie that I happen to love.  Now, these are a little different from the DoubleChocolate Cakies and the Banana Chocolate Chip Cakies because they do have eggs.  I went back and forth about [...]

16. Alaina says:

Good morning! I am living in Australia, and am a huge fan of your website! I eat mainly paleo, so I have decided to make your breakfast casserole and these yummy cookies for Easter this morning! I am looking forward to telling my friends how healthy it is after they eat it! (p.s. I am an identical twin as well!)

17. Meg H. says:

I wanted to make some treats for an Easter cookout, and boy am I glad I found these! They were a huge hit. Not to mention I definitely put some in the freezer for myself and just “accidentally” ate ALL of them :) Haha they didn’t last long, which is always a good sign!

18. Kat says:

I posted a link to your site/recipe on my blog after making these tonight. They were A.MAZE.ING!! High-five for coming up with one of the tastiest things I have had in a while :) I’m not gonna hide it, I had 6…one after the other…and I have no shame about it.

19. Astgermain says:

Do they have a banana taste? I’m not too keen on mixing my chocolate with any other flavor. that’s a very special time for me and I like to devote all my attention to the chocolate.

They do have a slight banana taste to them but honestly I don’t notice them as much as I do the chocolate and the almond butter. If you don’t want to use banana’s you can use dates, about 6 but mashed up…pits removed add 1 tablespoon water and microwave for 30 seconds and mash. Stir in about 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce with it too and replace that for the banana. The dates give you the sweetness without a “taste”. That will allow you to get your chocolate in :)

21. Candice says:

I just made these! Great! Like warm brownie bites out of the oven. I added about 1tbs of orange zest, great with the chocolate :-)

22. Marie says:

To be honest, when I first tasted these I did not like them at all. I followed the recipe the way it is posted above. BUT, after they cooled and I refrigerated them, OMG! They are so good! Love them….just have to be cold.

Marie, so happy you gave them another chance. It takes a bit for the banana to make their move. :)

24. [...] (nut allergies). She ate gummy bears instead. No worries, she has them now at home! They are called Double Chocolate Cakies from Multiply [...]

25. [...] Double Chocolate Cakies - i’ll make this the last one for today.  my mom had this awesome recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins.  we’d make them with semi-sweet chocolate chips… they were so moist and a perfect combo of chocolate and banana.  i even used the recipe for my fat replacement project in college.  being gluten-free and doing my best to avoid processed sugar…i have finally found an excellent subsitute in this recipe!!!  fresh out of the oven or warmed up enough for the chips to melt is the best.  i leave out the cinnamon.  you will not believe there’s no added sugar in these things.  you’ll find the recipe here.  [...]

26. chris says:

Hi, I so want to make these for Thanksgiving…do you think I could add unsweetened apple sauce in place of the bananas? If so, how much would you recommend?

Hi Chris,

Instead of applesauce I would actually recommend using dates, about 3 or 4 of them mashed up into a puree. Just put them in a microwave safe dish with a tablespoon of water and heat on high for about 30 seconds. Remove and mash with a fork. If still not working into a mash heat an additional 15-20 seconds in microwave. The dates will add a similar sweetness that the bananas do. :) Hope this helps and good luck.

28. Erin says:

Sooooooooooo GOOD! They were a hit with my husband and 5 years old :) Great recipe!

29. Shy-Anne says:

Can’t wait to enjoy these heavenly cookies!! Thank you for the great recipes!!

30. Vanessa says:

OMG!!! These cookies are amazing! Chocolate has been on my mind for the past couple of days. I am so glad I made this. Thank you so much for the recipe.

31. Amy says:

I made these for a treat after I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. They were so yummy! Even my husband thought they were good, and kept saying, “wow, these taste like banana bread!” Thanks for the recipe :)

32. Nick says:

Your original recipe is delicious, but I modified it because I didn’t really care for the almond flour mealiness plus I’m slowly switching over to coconut flour only, no more nut flours. So I substituted the 1-1/4 cups of almond flour with 1/3 cup of coconut flour and added 1 more banana. I think with the coconut flour it does make it slightly more dense, texture wise, but is still light and fluffy, it’s hard to explain you just have to taste it for yourselves. Thanks again

33. StephanieP says:

Yumolicious! I didn’t have almond butter but i did have Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter and subbed that in and these were like warm brownies. Not sure if i just have a giant ice scream scoop but my batch only made 5?!

These are amazing. So happy to find a treat that I can actually eat and that tastes so good. Now I know what I’ll be bringing to potlucks and family get togethers so I can enjoy some sweets!

35. bewanna says:

I really enjoy looking at your recipes! Thanks for sharing :-)

36. Sheena says:

So I just made these, and WOW. They are SO good. Thank you for helping cure my sweet craving =D

37. Nicole says:

What’s another flour I can use besides Almond ? My little one is allergic to all nuts!

38. Cakies?! It’s like a combination of my two favorite things. Definitely trying these. :)

Nicole, I have another cookie recipe in my archives that uses coconut flour. Not sure if your child is allergic to coconut but that is another gluten-free flour alternative.

40. […] Double Chocolate Cakies […]

41. Natalie says:

Have you tried freezing these? I’m looking for some sweet treats I can bake and then freeze for my kiddos lunches. Thanks!