Chocolate….Bananas …..oh how I have missed you….

Fruit was a semi No and Chocolate was a for sure No on my recent challenge at my CrossFit box, but my challenge is over.  Yippee!  Don’t worry I’m not going to go super crazy but gosh darn it when I have a craving for chocolate, bananas, and almond butter I’m going to see what I can do to make something using them.  Especially after two months of not having these treats in my life.  This weekend the kiddos kept me busy.  They always do but for some reason this weekend seemed over the top. By the time Sunday afternoon came along I was dragging and even the kiddos were.  We all needed a little pick me up and we needed one quick.  Out came the blender and out came the imagination.  The results was this super quick and easy smoothie!  Best part is it’s filled with antioxidants, potassium, fiber, and protein!  The pick-me-up we all needed on a Sunday afternoon.  Who needs coffee?  Ok, I know I’m not going to win that battle…coffee is still needed but this smoothie will have you swooning!  The kiddos ended up enjoying most of the smoothie but I did manage to get a small cup in for myself and it was just the right amount of a Paleo-friendly treat I needed.  We even had enough left over that we put into popsicle molds so we can enjoy on a future warm South Florida day.  So note to self, turn this into popsicles come summertime!

Now that I’ve talked smoothie, popsicles, chocolate, treats, etc.  I’m going to take a little minute to talk recipes.  You can skip this if you prefer but I just want to get a little something off my chest.  I started my blog over 2 years ago to share.  Share what I consider my stress reliever and my creative outlet…..my recipes.  Lately my sharing is a little different because I’m sharing recipes that have changed my life and how I feel.  By changing to Paleo over 8 months ago I have seen amazing results and I’m a happier person because of it.  Now when I share the recipes it is exactly that…. I’m sharing these recipes with you because I love this thing called Paleo and want everyone to try it and to see how gosh darn easy it is to follow.  And most importantly I want you to feel good!  So by putting the recipes out there, I’m hoping you will try them (if you wish) and hopefully enjoy.  My families preference in recipes and even ingredients I use may not be to the liking of everyone.  So a recipe we love may not be a hit in your house.  At first I would apologize for that and feel bad if someone didn’t like how the recipe turned out, but the more I have thought about it lately the more I’ve come to terms that my recipes are my recipes….simple as that.  They are something that I share (and enjoy doing so) because I tested them in my house and happen to love them.  I don’t post things I don’t like…and trust me I’ve made a lot of things that I haven’t liked and I would never share those mishaps with you.  Everyone is different and everyone likes different things….gosh darn it that’s what makes the world go round, right?  So don’t give a girl a hard time because you happen to not like something.  Because you don’t prefer an ingredients texture, taste, smell, etc.  Then don’t use it…simple as that.

Ok, I got it off my chest.  That may come back to bite me in the rear but this is my space to speak freely so here I am speaking freely.

Honestly guys all I want to do is to spread the Paleo love through my recipes because Paleo has brought my body back to the place it always needed to be.

Ok, enough babbling….now go make a smoothie!  The treat is on me!  Ha!  Seriously this treat is worth the treat!  Enjoy and thanks for letting me babble!

Chocolate Banana Smoothie

2 cups frozen sliced bananas (about 2 to 3 bananas)

2 teaspoons raw cacao powder

2 tablespoons almond butter

1 cup coconut milk (canned) or almond milk

¼ to ½ cup ice cold water

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ cup ice cubes

½ tablespoon honey (optional)

Add all ingredients to blender and process until smooth.  For the water, add ¼ cup first and blend.  If you prefer your smoothie thick then the ¼ cup should be fine.  If you prefer it a little more smoother then add an additional ¼ cup and blend.  Serve immediately and enjoy!!

Makes about 3 servings.

Note: If you don’t have banana’s, just add more ice or another frozen fruit of choice.  If you don’t have cacao powder, add regular cocoa powder.

25 Responses to Chocolate Banana Smoothie

1. angela says:

i love, love, love your recipes and want to thank you for sharing! i am also a mom of 2 girls (3 years and 3 months), also love crossfit and started my paleo journey 2 months ago and feel fabulous! it makes me so happy that for my daughter’s birthday, i made some muffins from your site and everyone loved them (no white sugar, no white flour!!!) eliminating wheat and sugar has been the best thing for myself and my family and i can’t thank you enough for all the wonderful recipes you have brought into my home!

Thank you Angela for your sweet comment, brought a huge smile to my face.
    Way to go on making the change to Paleo! Hopefully you will continue to see the benefits. :)
    Thanks again!

3. Your recipes bring immense pleasure to my life… why don’t people get that they have a choice… if it looks good to you, awesome, make it. If not, for heaven’s sake, walk away. This one is so perfect because I have the canned coconut milk left over from the muffins! Can’t wait!

4. And now i am wondering what it would taste like with a shot of espresso in it!

5. This looks delish! I was on paleo for about 2 months and after a little break, i think I am getting back on it. This would be a perfect treat! Thanks for sharing your recipes. It take guts to put yourself out there but I am happy that you do because you share great ideas!

Thanks Jessica! :)
    No matter what I’ll still keep posting and I’ll still keep sharing because my only hope is I help someone out there.

Thanks again and best of luck as you introduce Paleo back into your life.

Oh my! Kristina, a espresso shot would be out of this world! Maybe next time when the kiddos aren’t around I’ll add that to my own smoothie. The kids bounce off the walls as is so no caffeine for them. :)

8. Kari says:

I love your paleo recipes! In fact your taco meat, cauliflower carrot mash, and chicken salad are part of our meal rotation. Last week i rotisseried a chicken before bed just so I could make ur tummy chicken salad the next day. My 4 year n I enjoyed this smoothie for breakfast this morning, keep the wonderful recipes coming.

9. Laurie says:

I LOVE your blog. I just started low-carb (again) a couple of weeks ago and your recipes give me motivation to start cooking healthy! Thank you! :) ~Laurie

I just found your blog, and I am trying three of your recipes next week! I have been eating paleo for a year and a half and am addicted to crossfit. I made a smoothie just like this for a snack during my latest pregnancy (I was able to keep crossfitting until 32 weeks). You might try adding a large handful of baby spinach to your smoothie. It is not as pretty, but you can’t even taste it.

11. Erin says:

I just made this for my sweet pea and we both loved it! Amazing…hard to believe it’s paleo. Can’t wait to try many more of your recipes :)

12. Ashley says:

I love your site! This smoothie recipe is great! You def have to cut and peel the bananas before you freeze them, ( I somehow missed this step).

13. Shanna says:

I added a few handfuls of spinach. Very yummy! Thanks! :)

14. [...] Kick off the Summer with aChocolate Banana Smoothie! [...]

15. Dawn says:

I’ve been on paleo for 4 months. Trying to transition my 13 year old son off sugar and dairy…we’ll try wheat later. At any rate, he’s not so fond of berry smoothies and asked if I could try a banana one. That’s how I found your website. We had it this morning and he loved it. Instead of honey, I used 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. What a treat! Thanks so much for sharing. We’re trying the sweet potato kale chicken patties for dinner

16. [...] be posting some new fun recipes!  Today’s post is a quick smoothie that I came across from Multiply Delicious, she really makes some of the best sweet [...]

17. [...] original recipe can be found here, but I’ve made a number of small tweaks to create what I consider Perfection. This smoothie [...]

18. Elena says:

Excellent chocolate-banana paleo smoothie. I was getting tired of eatings eggs all the time. So filling and a great start to the morning. Thanks for the recipes.

19. Gry says:

Oh.. Soooo good looking!:) I have just founded your website, and I am allready totally in loooove!

I see, that you use a loot of almond butter – but what is that? haven’t seen it in the supermarkets in Denmark (where I am from).. Do you make it on your owm – and then, how?:)

I am so excited to start cooking and baking with inspiration from you! Is it okay, if I share some of the recipes on my blog “www.nyd-maden.blogspot.com” ? I promise to tell about the fantastic source!!:D

thank you! – greeting from Gry

Hi Gry,

Almond Butter is basically almonds blended up to a butter like consistency. It’s quite yummy! It’s like peanut butter but of course using almonds instead. :) You can make it on your own using a food processor a high speed blender.
    I would be more than happy for you to share on your blog. Thank you for asking.

All the best!

21. [...] little For dessert…  Banana and Dark Chocolate Smoothies (Pic and recipe inspired from HERE) Here is what you’ll need….  – 1-2 bananas – 2 ts raw cacao powder – 2 TB almond [...]

22. DawnS says:

We are easing slowly into paleo diet. Can I ask why you use canned coconut milk vs carton?Does it make a difference in how things turn out? Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas.

Hi Dawn,
    First, welcome to Paleo! I use canned coconut milk because the boxed or carton coconut milk you normally find in the refrigerated section at the store is hidden with additives and even sweeteners. Coconut milk in the canned does not have these add-ins. However, you still need to look at the labels on canned coconut because some also have them hidden. Always read your labels. :)

24. [...]  View recipe via Multiply Delicious here! [...]