Ok, I’m pretty excited about a few things going on here on the blog.  First, and the most exciting of all, the recipe index is now VISUAL!!  Yippee!!!  I’m jumping with excitement over this because I’ve been daydreaming about it for a long time now.  My wonderful designer Lauren partnered with another programmer to help me accomplish my dream, because I am so not a “coding” kind of person.  I keep it to a limited amount, only the basics to keep things somewhat pretty around here.  I so wish I did know more on the coding part of it but this mama doesn’t have the time.  It’s hard enough as is.  So are you excited?  If you aren’t then as my kids would say…poo on you….only kidding (sort of).  But seriously what is better then visually seeing the recipe while you search away?  I’m a pretty visual girl so seeing something right before my eyes as a search makes life pretty darn easy.

The other exciting things are a little bit of a secret for right now….sorry.  I promise I’ll share when I can.  Lot to work through but I’m hoping you will all be as excited as I am about it.

A few other notes, have you ever checked out Juli’s blog from paleOMG?  She pretty much rocks!  Love her writing and love her recipes.  If you haven’t checked out her blog….it’s a must!!  I promise you will be laughing your butt off too….which at the end of the day is so important in a day…to laugh!

Ok, I’ve talked about everything except these meatballs.  These are a favorite around my house but they are usually eaten before I can ever photograph them.  I was able to use my CrossFit muscles (so kidding…I only wish!) to hold back my hubby from eating these so I can photograph them for all of you.  These meatballs are yummy, and this is coming from a girl that only a few months ago tried meat after not having it for more than half her life.  Crazy, right?  Anywho….make these, they are good!

Enjoy and see you guys back around here soon.

Moroccan Meatballs with Citrus-Glazed Carrots

2 teaspoon olive oil

3 to 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wide and 2-inch long matchsticks

1 orange, juiced and zested

1 pound 85% grass-fed ground beef

1 egg white

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/8 cup almond flour

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1/2 tablespoon fresh mint, minced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Fresh ground black pepper

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium heat for 1 minute.  Add carrots and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.  Stir in orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange zest.  Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes, until carrots are slightly softened.  Remove from heat and keep covered.

In a large bowl, combine beef, egg white, garlic, almond meal, coriander, fresh mint, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper.  With hands or a fork, mix well to combine and shape into 12 to 15 meatballs.

Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium heat.  Working in batches, add meatball and cook for 7 to 8 minutes,making sure to brown evenly; do not overcrowd skillet.  Meatballs are fully cooked when completely opaque in center.  Place cooked meatballs on plate with paper towel until all meatballs are cooked.

Serve meatballs alongside carrots with remaining orange zest and fresh mint.  You can serve over Cauliflower Rice or Cauliflower Carrot Herb Mash (as shown in pictures).

Serves 3 to 4

Recipe adapted from Cleaning Eating January/February 2012 magazine

12 Responses to Moroccan Meatballs with Citrus-Glazed Carrots

1. [...] Moroccan Meatballs with Citrus-Glazed Carrots [...]

2. CJ says:

Love the new visual recipe index!!

3. alicia says:

this was super easy to make. the carrots, so good! i forgot to buy mint and i think that screwed up the meatballs cause they were a little bland. oh well. hopefully others will learn from my mistake. :)

Oh yes, the mint is important Alicia. Try them again and if you don’t have fresh mint you can always use dried mint. :)

5. Flannery B says:

Hi! I made these (even w/o the mint!) and they were delicious! I added some sauteed spinach and baby bellas to the meatballs to sneak in a little extra veggies for the kiddos. They were soooo yummy. Thanks!

6. [...] Moroccan Meatballs with Citrus-Glazed Carrots – these are both delicious. The spices in the meatballs are so different that they are a joy to eat, [...]

7. Megan says:

I originally made this recipe from a magazine, I stumbled on this website when I google searched for Moroccan meatballs and Glazed carrots. So happy I found the exact recipe from the Magazine!! I have made the meatballs a few times now and the first time it was pretty bland too. Add an additional tsp of curry powder and instead using beef try ground lamb, it kicks the flavor up quite a bit! There is probably added calories to the lamb but it taste AMAZING! Good luck! Its definitely a wonderful paired meal. Love the mashed cauliflower idea!

8. kristine says:

So yummy!!!! I used garbanzo bean flour instead, delicious!!! The cauliflower carrot mash OMG so yummy!!! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!!!

9. Courtney says:

I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago, and these meatballs and carrots have become a go-to recipe for me. A wonderful, filling meal, abounding in delicious flavours! I just wanted to mention that today I adapted the recipe for pork loin in the crock pot, as I just gave birth to my third child two weeks ago, and meatballs are a little labour intensive for my level of crazy right now ;) Still fab, and just threw some chopped cauliflower in the oven with a bit of evoo and garlic to go with.

10. […] made a few changes to the original recipes (found here and here) and substituted dried herbs for fresh in both the mash and the meatballs, because fresh […]

11. Toby Witte says:

Oooh, loved reading your recipe. I have been making something similar with my daughter and will improve it now after seeing this.

12. Hope says:

Just made this and it was wonderful. Only problem I had is that I need to double the meatballs next time with my crew of 4 kids. Thank you!