It was a overcast yucky weekend in my neck of the woods.  Yuck!  So what does a mom who is about to go crazy with two couped up kids….you bake!  You pull out the bowls, spoons, and pans and the rest turns into a fun day in the kitchen.  I haven’t been baking as much these days due to the MVT Challenge at my CrossFit box, but my challenge is over.  Woot!  So I have a little more freedom…but I have to say I’m going to stay on track because I do feel pretty awesome.

Now let’s talk muffins because my eyes are tired and tomorrow morning I have to wake up to hit my daily WOD.  So this recipe all came about because I had two ripe banana’s….and then what’s better than banana and cinnamon swirled all together into a muffin?  Not much!  These muffins are only sweetened by banana’s!  And a small amount of maple syrup in the cinnamon topping, which you could totally eliminate.  These muffins didn’t last very long with two little ones and a husband…I only got 1!  It’s ok, because I would prefer to share.  I have to say the best part about these muffins is I got to make them with my little ones and we had a fun and messy time in the kitchen!

Enjoy!!

Banana Cinnamon Bun Muffins

1/2 cup coconut flour

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup coconut milk (canned coconut milk)

1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 1 banana)

Cinnamon Topping

1 tablespoons cinnamon

2 tablespoons ripe banana, mashed

2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Whisk dry ingredients together.  Set aside.

In a small bowl add mashed banana, eggs, and coconut milk and mix with a hand mixer until well blended.  Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and with a hand mixer until well combined.

Add batter until prepared muffin cups.  Filling to about 3/4 filled.

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, mashed banana, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup (if using).  Drizzle mixture over top of muffins and using a toothpick swirl the topping into the muffin batter.  Reserve some of the cinnamon topping.

Bake muffins for 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  In the last 5 minutes of baking add more cinnamon toping to the tops of the muffins.

Allow muffins to cool in pan 5 – 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack.  Enjoy immediately, but I prefer them the next day…..if they last that long.

Enjoy!

Makes about 10 to 12 muffins.

42 Responses to Banana Cinnamon Bun Muffins

1. Evangeline says:

These looks yummy!!! Question, when it calls for “coconut milk”, do you use the canned one? If so, do I get the full fat? Thank you so much!

Hi Evangeline,

I did use canned coconut milk and you could use full fat or light. I happen to have a can of light in my cabinet and that is what I used but I’m sure using either would work.

Thanks so much for dropping by!

3. Brooke says:

could you use the So delicious coconut milk or does it HAVE to be from a can?

Hi Brooke, I haven’t tried the So Delicious brand so I can’t promise that these would be ok, but you can give it a try. I’m sure it would be ok. :)
    Thanks!

5. Melanie Kaloustian says:

I just made these (they are in the oven now), but I noticed that the batter was pretty thick… Is that normal?? I hope they turn out, because they smell amazing!!

Hi Melanie,
    I sent you an email but wanted to leave a comment here also. The batter will be thick, it’s the nature of the coconut flour. When you add the cinnamon topping this will allow the batter to become “wet”. In the end the muffins should be ok. Let me know how yours turn out. :)
    Thanks,
    MD

7. Jacey says:

“1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 1 muffin)”

–Should this read (about 1 banana)? Just curious :P Trying these right now!

8. I made these last night and you’re right…they disappeared! Amazingly easy and delicious.
    A question for you, my partner has been a vegetarian for over 29 years. He’s an athlete and now starting to feel that a dietary change is in order to maximize his performance. I eat mostly paleo (if I had to define it) and he is struggling with starting to eat meat for the first time since being 12yrs old. How did you do it? How did you get past the stronger tastes, textures and emotional barriers that he’s struggling with? Any suggestions would be most welcome!
    M

9. Jasmine says:

I made these today and they were an instant hit with the kids! Definitely going in the recipe file :)
    Thank you!
    Jasmine

10. Jasmine says:

By the way – I had run out of coconut oil so used butter in the topping & it turned out fine :)

Hi Jacey,

Yes, sorry about that….late night blogging should not be aloud. About 1 banana. :)

Hi Meghanne,

Sending you an email today. :)

13. […] grain free cinnamon bun muffins […]

14. Franchesca says:

I made these tonight and they are amazing! Really hit the spot. Thanks!

15. Petra says:

Hi, These looked so good!
    I just made them and have a question about the topping. Is it really two TABLEspoons of cinnamon? My topping was not drizzly, it came out like dark brown paste. Still…can’t wait to try them once they cool down.

Hi Petra,
    You are so right…1 tablespoon…so sorry. ll fixed above. Let me know how they turn out. :)

17. Jodi says:

Are the four eggs the full eggs or egg whites?

18. Rayna says:

I bookmarked this recipe since I just ordered some coconut flour. These look good! Do you know if Brooke’s batch came out okay since she used coconut milk instead of the canned version? We usually use Soy Coconut, almond, and regular soy and I wanted to know if that would be okay to use because I know the canned version is thicker. I might just make 2 batches: 1 with the canned milk and the other with Silk to see which is better.

19. Amber says:

could i use flaxseed to substitute the eggs in this recipe?

Hi Amber,
    I’m sure you could try flaxseed to replace the eggs or even the egg subsitute, Ener-G Egg Replacer. They sell it at most health food stores like Whole Foods. Let me know how they turn out. :)

Hi Jodi,
    They are full eggs. :)

22. Tracy Sheehy says:

Want to make these for my niece at coolege. Will ahve to ship them. In your opinion what would be the best way and do you think they could handle 3 days in the mail? Sometimes I will freeze stuff first and then ship…can these be frozen?

23. Judy says:

This looks so delicious and I have all the ingredients. However, before I make them, I wanted to ask you: Is there enough sweetener in the muffin batter (I didn’t see any at all)? Maybe the 1/2 banana is enough to sweeten a bit? Thanks!

Hi Judy,
    I try to stay away from added sweeteners so the banana was all I used. If you want to add in a little maple syrup or honey to the recipe to give it a bit more feel free. I thought the banana gave these a pretty good “sweet” taste. :)
    Thanks!

25. Jane says:

Any word whether almond milk will work?

Hi Jane,
    Yes, almond milk will work fine too. :)

27. […] 8. Like everyone else, I’ve been participating in a month-long baking bonanza this month (Who says bonanza? Such a funny word!). However, I took a break from the cookies yesterday and made these coconut flour Cinnamon Bun Muffins. […]

28. […] Banana Cinnamon Bun Muffins by Multiply Delicious is here […]

29. Leigh says:

I was concerned about the sweetness of the batter so i added a tablespoon of stevia baking blend. I also threw in a handful of mini chocolate chips, because, why not? They came out awesome!

30. Mr Power says:

I made these today for my mum, try and help her get off the white flour and sugar loaded cakes she lives on….she loved them so thank you very much!

31. Denise says:

I made these yesterday! WOW! Amazing! I will be making these often.

32. […] Banana Cinnamon Bun Muffins – If your child like toast with cinnamon and sugar, give these a try! […]

33. Melissa says:

Made a few substitutions to the recipe to accommodate what I had in house. They were really, really good !!

34. Jessica says:

Will they turn out okay if I don’t use the topping? Thanks.

35. Wanda says:

Just wanted to let you know these muffins were wonderful and a hit with members of my family that are not on a restricted diet. Thank you for creating and sharing such a yummy recipe.

36. mara martinez says:

Hi,
    I just made these. They are pretty good. This is my first time using the coconut flour. I had no maple syrup so they are a little bland. Maybe they would be a little sweeter with it. I will see if they pass the kid’s test :)

Would this recipe work if used in a loaf pan? I don’t have any liners and need theses in my life today!!

Hi Rachel!
    Sure, give it a go. It should work but you might need to bake a bit longer. :) Let us know how it turns out.

39. Taylor says:

I made these today and they turned out pretty rough… It was like I was eating straight baked eggs, like mini egg casseroles. I was worried about the flour to egg ratio, and my prediction was correct.

They weren’t very sweet at all. I used regular flour instead of coconut flour and evaporated milk instead of coconut milk, so I understand there will be some variation from the intended taste, but they were so bad I threw out the whole batch. It sounds like a lot of others have enjoyed the recipe though so oh well, you live and you learn!

Taylor – The reason why yours unfortunately didn’t turn out well is because you didn’t follow the recipe. :( Regular flour is very different from coconut flour – it is more dense and requires more eggs.

41. […] recipe adapted from Multiply Delicious […]

42. Jen says:

Do these freeze well??? I need to make ahead