I have another paleo pumpkin muffin for you but I have to say I think this one is way better than my first attempt so I had to share.  I’m still learning the do’s and don’ts of baking with coconut flour but the more I bake with it the more I love it.  Coconut flour is packed with protein and fiber too which makes these little muffins perfect to grab on those mornings where life gets the best of you (meaning no time to eat breakfast).  I know, I know these should be considered a “treat” in the Paleo world of things but as a busy mom trying to get two girls ready and out the door (and myself) this “treat” is going to have to do as my breakfast from time to time.  Now let’s talk pumpkin, I know it’s the end of pumpkin season but you can’t go wrong with pumpkin and it’s one of my favorite ingredients to use.  I can never have enough pumpkin packed in my pantry.  I love it!  I even use it in smoothies for the girls!  Anyho these muffins are a favorite and topped with a paleo streusel….you can’t go wrong.  So here it is folks and do yourself a favor and gives these muffins a try.  And if I haven’t won you over yet, your kitchen and house will smell delicious while these bake.

I’ll be back later this week sharing a Christmas Paleo Cookie that you can hand out to friends and family and they won’t even know (or care) that they are Paleo. I’m really excited to share these cookies with you.

Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

½ cup pumpkin puree

½ cup coconut oil, melted

3 tablespoons coconut milk

6 medjool dates, pitted and mashed with 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon maple syrup)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

½ cup coconut flour

Streusel

½ cup pecans, chopped

¼ cup almond meal/flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.

In a small bowl, add pitted medjool dates and 1 tablespoon water.  Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on high.  Mash the dates with fork and add 1 tablespoon maple syrup and mash again.

In a bowl of a food processor combine date mixture, pumpkin puree, coconut oil (melted), coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin spice.  Process until well combine and the date mixture is pureed.  Add coconut flour and process again until combine.

To make streusel, combine all ingredients and stir to combine.

Fill each paper cup ¾ full of batter and top with streusel.  Bake muffins for 30 to 35 minutes.

Serve with apple butter and enjoy!  Makes 12 muffins

Recipe adapted from Primal Palate

36 Responses to Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

1. Katrina says:

Pumpkin streusel is my favorite muffin! That topping sounds delicious!

2. Stacy says:

I just found your website through this post (http://healthymomontherun.com/2011/12/mom-on-the-runs-top-10-paleo-websites/) and am so glad I did – these and quite a few of your recipes look so great – thanks!

Stacy

3. [...] top left, our Monkey Bread, Gigi’s Carrot Muffins (from the book!), our Chai Thai Tea, and Pumpkin Streusel Muffins from Multiply [...]

4. Colleen says:

These look amazing! Unfortunatly my son is very allergic to coconut. Any suggestions on substitutions?

Hi Colleen,
    I’m so sorry to hear of your sons allergies to coconut. Here is another recipe I have for pumpkin muffins using almond flour. http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2011/10/pumpkin-paleo-muffins/. These might be a better choice for him.
    Thanks,
    MD

6. Katie says:

These look awesome!! Quick question, what kind of coconut milk did you use? The canned, full fat coconut milk, or the milk in a carton?

Hi Katie,
    Good question, I used the coconut milk in a can….the real stuff. :) You can either use the light or the full fat. I happened to use the light version in the can because that is what I had on hand but I’m sure either would work.
    All the best,
    MD

8. alyssa says:

Hey quick question. I am pretty new to paleo baking. So when we are putting everything in the food processor, do we melt the coconut oil or no? Thanks

Hi Alyssa,
    Well welcome to Paleo baking. And yes, you should melt the coconut oil in the microwave (or stove top) until melted. Then add the melted oil to the food processor with the other wet ingredients and process as the recipe.
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

All the best,
    MD

10. [...] some amazingly tasting and just as awesome looking stuff on their sites! I made Heather’s Pumpkin Streusel Muffins for Christmas brunch and Jenni’s GAPS/Paleo reinvention of marshmallows is nothing short of [...]

11. [...] original recipe is here, but check out my ultra-healthy variation below (changes in BOLD PRINT – I added some extra liquids [...]

12. Sharyn says:

This looks wonderful. Is there anything you would suggest could be used in place of the dates?

Hi Sharyn,
    You could try using dried raisins or figs. I have readers who have used those as substitutes for dates in recipes too. You could also try using banana’s as a sweetening agent, which is all natural too. :)

14. [...] Makes **almost an 8×8 sheet of brownies. Based on a recipe from Multiply Delicious for Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins [...]

15. Megan says:

Just made these for a Crossfit/Paleo potluck and people went crazy for them! Super moist and really flavorful!

Here are the subtle changes I made to the recipe:
    1. Subbed 1Tbsp apple sauce (no added sugar) for maple syrup in date puree
    2. Cut coconut oil to 1/4 cup and subbed 1/4 cup apple sauce
    3. Added a little more than 1/8 cup raisins and 1/8 cup shredded coconut to strusel topping (eyeballed the amount)
    4. Coated the pans with coconut oil instead of using muffin papers – popped out just fine!
    5. Just FYI, I didn’t use a food processor, I just beat with a fork. I also used the light coconut milk in a can.

Thanks so much for posting this great recipe! I’ll definitely make these again! :D

16. marla says:

These look great! Linking back tomorrow.

17. Pauline says:

Can you please tell me what is in the pumpkin pie spice as I live in Australia and that is not available here. I am sure though that i will be able to add mixed spice, cinnamon, nutmeg etc and get a similar taste if that is what is in it. Thanks for your recipes they all look great.

Hi Pauline,

To make 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice you need the following:
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Mix together and you will have a good sub for pumpkin pie spice. :)

19. Tracy Sheehy says:

Just wondered, if my coconut oil is already melted, do I still use the same amount as solid oil?

20. Samantha says:

I made these yesterday, substituting molasses for the maple syrup since I’m out. They are the best paleo pumpkin recipe I’ve tried and even my everything-processed-eating nephews devoured them! Thank you so much!

21. JoJo says:

These were delicious!! I made them with slow-roasted butternut squash instead of pumpkin and added some coconut palm sugar to the streussel topping…. and I’ll definitely be making these again!! Thank you for a great recipe!!

Hi Tracy,

Yes, if your coconut oil is already melted use the same measurement. :)

23. Very nice muffins, I didn’t have to adapt it to suit my tastes. Thanks!

24. Amanda M says:

We featured this recipe in our Pumpkin Recipe Roundup!

Thanks so much Amanda!! :)

26. [...] Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins – I have to confess: Multiply Delicious has become my first stop when I’m looking for new recipes, especially when it’s something that falls in the treat realm. This recipe doesn’t disappoint. In fact, the Pastor and kiddos were amazed these were paleo muffins! My one change will be to just mix in the streusel toppings – I had a little trouble with it falling off the cooked muffin, and I like the texture variety of nuts and dried cranberries in the batter. [...]

27. Michelle says:

Can you explain the reason for microwaving the dates? Is that to soften them up? (Trying to figure out substitute process since I don’t use a microwaves.)

Hi Michelle, Placing in the microwave can help to soften the dates in order to mash them up. Since you don’t use a microwave, you can place enough boiling water to cover the dates and allow them to sit for 15 minutes or so. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the water and mash with your fork until mash is achieved. If your dates are soft enough you can also process in a food processor to break them up.

29. [...] popcorn and some Sweet Potato Chips would be great at lunchtime. I really have my eye on these Pumpkin Streusel Muffins, though. I’m a sucker for anything with streusel! For something different, try making a [...]

30. Michelle says:

I made these for the first time last night exactly per the recipe – LOVE the pumpkin scent in my home! I appreciate the extremely low sweetener content as I eat a low-sugar diet by choice, but I couldn’t thoroughly enjoy these that way. The kids would only eat them dipped in applesauce. Thinking next time I might add a bit of applesauce to the batter…

(BTW, not trying to be critical at all! The ingredient choices are superb. I know as a reader, I find it helpful when other commenters give honest feedback so I have an idea what to expect with the recipes when I make them for my own family.)

31. Maria says:

Just made these in the oven as I write this … I added dried cranberrys to the topping mixture… I already can smell them … So excited !

32. [...] Paleo Pumpkin Muffins Multiply Delicious [...]

33. Helen says:

Hi Heather,

Can these be frozen?

Thanks!
    Helen

Hi Helen,
    You sure can. Freeze away and enjoy later. :)

35. […] Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins – Multiply Delicious […]