Back for another quick post leading up to a fun post tomorrow with some wonderful Paleo bloggers.  Stacy from Paleo Parents, The Urban Poser, and I will be partnering together for a Paleo New Year’s Menu.  One of us will provide a appetizer, one a main course, and the other a dessert.  A big thanks to Stacy for coming up with this wonderful idea to partner together on this post.  Are you excited?  Just wait, it will be pretty fabulous!

These buns play a big role in my post tomorrow so I wanted to give you a sneak peek.  I’ll be back tomorrow with more.

Enjoy!

Paleo Herb Buns

1 1/2 cups almond flour

2 tablespoons coconut flour

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup bacon grease (or coconut oil, melted)

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/2 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a whoopie pie panwith coconut oil.  If you don’t have a whoopie pie pan, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, rosemary, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor add eggs, honey, and apple cider vinegar.  Process until eggs are blended.  Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and process until well incorporated.  Remove blade of food processor and add bacon grease or coconut oil and stir until well blended.

If using the whoopie pie pan drop batter into rounds to fill.  If using a baking sheet, use a ice cream scoop and drop scoops onto baking sheet.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.

Makes about 10 to 12 buns

Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry

49 Responses to Paleo Herb Buns

1. Mommaofmany says:

These sounds wonderful! Do you know the approximate yield?

Hi there!
    This recipe makes about 10 to 12 buns depending on if you use the whoopie pie pan or scoop onto a baking sheet. I got about 10 using my whoopie pie pan.
    Thanks so much for stopping by :)

3. Sharee says:

Do you think pastured butter would work in place of coconut oil or bacon grease for those of us that can do dairy?

Hi Sharee,
    Most definitely you can use pastures butter to replace the oil. Enjoy!

MD

5. Shannon says:

I loved the sound of the recipe but it smelled and tasted way to “eggy” for my liking. Any thoughts/recommendations? What would happen if less eggs were used?

Thanks!

6. Karen C. says:

I am not much for kitchen unitaskers (as Alton Brown would say), so I am a little leary of purchasing a whoopie pie pan for just this one recipe. Do you have some suggestions on what other paleo recipes to use the pan for and do you find yourself using it often?

7. Can you leave out the honey and still have them turn out? I’m following Whole30 this month… Otherwise I’ll try them in February! ;)

Hi Rebecca,
    Thanks for stopping by. Yes, you can eliminate the honey from the recipe and still have great Paleo Herb Buns in the end. Shouldn’t be an issue to remove the honey.
    And way to go on the Whole30 challenge. I did it in the beginning when starting Paleo and it was awesome….hard but totally awesome. :)

Thanks again for stopping by!
    MD

Hi Shannon,
    Yes, you do have to use a lot of eggs in this recipe due to the flours being used. I haven’t played around too much with the recipe to see if eggs could be reduced. I adapted the recipe from Elana’s Panty Paleo Bread recipe and I trust Elana’s baking expertise 100%.
    If you do end up using less eggs come back and let us know how it turned out.

Thanks,
    MD

Hi Karen,

No need to purchase a whoopie pie pan just for this recipe. In the instructions I mention an alternative way to making the buns using a plain baking sheet. The beauty about the whoopie pie pan is it makes the buns consistant in size. Paleo muffins can easily be made in the whoopie pie pan as can Paleo cookies. Muffin tops are a favorite for many so the whoopie pie pan would allow you to have muffin tops. :)
    Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

MD

11. [...] I served my lasagna with steamed broccoli and Paleo Herb Buns [...]

12. Deanne Kohlenberger says:

I am new to the Paleo world…about 4-5 years ago i found out i had a dairy issue. So I stayed away from dairy as much as possible and then I was still having problems. So a year ago I had a baby and ended up having to have my gallbladder taken out. I was sick every time I ate anything. When I asked the doc about what I could do I was told to stick it out. That it may not be a problem after about a year. Well I was still having problems after I ate anything. So I decided to start paying attention to what I was eating. I started to steer clear of anything with gluten in it and found that I was much better but not quite. Then my brother and sister-in-law found the link for Paleo Parents and forwarded it to me stating that they found it curious that her story was a lot like mine. I have gone Paleo for about 2 going on 3 weeks now and can tell you that I am amazed at how much better I feel. So having rambled on and on about that I wanted to Thank You for putting this recipe up. I have baked both these and the crackers and can tell you they taste absolutly AWESOME!!!!!

13. [...] we have Thai Green Chicken Curry and Cauliflower Rice, Spaghetti Squash Buffalo Bolognese with Herb Buns and Bangers and [...]

14. Tom says:

Can this be made with only almond flour and no coconut flour? Only wondering because it’s the only thing I don’t have it right now :)

15. Christi says:

I made these today 2/2/12 – FANTASTIC! I am brand new to Paleo & am trying to find some good bread recipes to go with dinners. I did change a couple of things – I used 4 eggs instead of 5 & upped the honey to 3 Tbs. I added some extra seasonings (think bread dipping oil seasonings) & LOVE them! I have found a NEW “bread” to go with dinner tonight! I am SO happy it’s not “Eggy” tasting! lol I made biscuits this week & had to throw them out b/c they tasted so Eggy! Thank You for a Keeper – I can’t wait to try your other recipes!!

16. Jessica says:

Is there a way to make these without the almond flour? I only have access to coconut flour. Thank you!

17. [...] only thing I would add to make this dish any better would be a Paleo Herb Bun to help mop up all that yummy [...]

18. Rachel W says:

Hello! I can only see 13 of the 18 responses so I never saw a response to the “can you just use almond flour” comment. Would that work just as well? Thanks!

Hi Jessica,
    I haven’t tried these without the almond flour. If you use all coconut flour you will have to play with the amount you use. It doesn’t take as much coconut flour compared to almond flour. Coconut flour usually require more eggs too.

Hi Rachel,

I haven’t tried just using almond flour. You can try using just almond flour but I would reduce the eggs if you do. Maybe instead of 5 try 3 and see how the batter is. You don’t want the batter to be too runny and coconut flour is known to absorb liquids.
    If you try using just almond flour let me know how they turn out. :)

Thanks,
    MD

21. Kristin W. says:

These are so good! I didn’t make a single change and I baked mine on a lined baking sheet. Keeper recipe.

22. [...] easier too. If it’s not leftovers from dinner the night before then it’s home baked paleo herb buns stuffed with deli meats and salad courtesy of me and Multiply Delicious – Thank [...]

23. [...] easier too. If it’s not leftovers from dinner the night before then it’s home baked paleo herb buns stuffed with deli meats and salad courtesy of me and Multiply Delicious – Thank [...]

24. [...] I like nothing nicer than a yummy sandwich and a bag of crisps (chips) for lunch, well I used to when I was a regular kinda gal. Now I can thanks once again to Multiply Delicious‘s Paleo Herb Buns [...]

25. Nancy says:

made these without honey and with Kerrygold Garlic and Herb butter! Yum! Thanks so much!

26. es says:

i just made these and they are great, but the taste of coconut oil was overpowering- is there another paleo friendly alternative i could try?

You could use olive oil or grass fed butter if the coconut oil was a little over powering.

28. Ali says:

These were absolutely delicious!

29. Desiree says:

I tried this recipe out today and it didn’t work so well for me. I used almond meal from trader joe’s, which mat have been the issue. They came out very dark in color and gritty in texture. Are you using a blanched, skinless almond flour? Would you mind recomending a brand? I also whisked everything together as I do not have a food processor. I can’t wait to try this again with perhaps a different almond flour. Love your site! Thx!

30. Rose Sanders says:

I was craving tomato soup and sandwiches for lunch today. I made these and then since they were thinner, I was able to use them as bread for small sandwiches. Perfect! they really hit the spot!

31. Theresa says:

Hey! I made the buns yesterday. I reduced the egg content to offset the “eggy” flavor”. They didn’t come out as spongy and I must say it was great to be able to eat some “bread” again. I made a sandwich and the scale didn’t complain. Thank you, I can’t wait to try some more of your recipes

32. Virginie says:

Hey! I only put 4 eggs, more salt (3/4 teaspoon), used olive oil, added garlic and black olives… It was amazing. Definitely going to keep this base and experiment more!

33. Stephanie says:

I copied Virginie’s modifications, because I wanted them more savory than cocunut oil provides. I wish I had the olives, that would have been perfect … but still very yummy with my CivilizedCaveman sausages.

34. [...] Paleo Herb BunsPaleo Herb Buns [...]

35. Kat says:

This recipe has saved us as we’ve embarked on a paleo lifestyle! They taste awesome and hold up well to everything from big fat grass-fed beef burgers to shredded BBQ. I use different herbs depending on what we plan to put on them. Dill is great for salmon burgers for example. Or toasted onions for the burgers. The possibilities are endless! Thank you for giving us our burgers on a bun again! Eating them in romaine just wasn’t the same, LOL!

Hi Kat!
    So happy to hear you’ve enjoyed this recipe. I also love that you’ve been able to change it up depending on what you are serving. I love it when wonderful things happen like that. :)

37. Kate says:

I am definately making the chicken sliders next week! I would love to make the buns however I am severally allergic to nuts :( (hinders my paleo eating a bit) :(.. Is there anything else you could recommend trying? Maybe extra coconut flour?

Hi Kate,

Hmmmm, I don’t want to tell you to use coconut flour only because I haven’t tried it. Also, coconut flour is super dense so you would need more liquid or just use less of it in this recipe. Let me hunt to see if I can find a coconut flour bread recipe and email you. :)

39. Bkb says:

Just tried these. Consistency is just right, they smell wonderful but I am finding they have an almost bitter after taste. Does anyone have an idea as to which ingredient it could be or what I could be doing wrong?

40. Jordan says:

Oh my goodness….these are tasty! I halved the recipe and used 2 XL (double yolk) farmer’s market eggs instead of 2.5 regular eggs. I spooned them out and made about 6 large buns. Watched them closely and baked about 16 minutes total. The only thing I would change next time (and I’m going to make these again tomorrow to take to a New Year’s brunch) would be to add just slightly more salt. I spread bruschetta on one as a taste test and it was awesome! Can’t wait to make an egg sandwich tomorrow.

41. [...] Paleo Herb BunsPaleo Herb Buns [...]

42. Desiree says:

Do you think these would freeze okay???

43. Kristen says:

I subbed out hazelnut flour for almond flour and the outcome is amazing

44. suzie says:

How long would you guess these maintain their freshness? Has anyone tried freezing? Thanks in advance!

Hi Suzie! I would suggest keeping them in the refrigerator to help them last a bit longer. I have also frozen these and that is another great option.

46. suzie says:

These are excellent! I filled my whoopee pie pans to the top and only got 7 (oops). Next time I will go thinner! We are splitting the thick ones or serving open face style.