Back as promised with one of my new favorite Paleo muffin recipes.  But a warning….these are addicting!  I have found myself eagerly waiting the banana’s to ripen just so I can make another batch of these muffins.  Like I said they are addicting!  And they even get better the next day….if that’s even possible.  If you want to hold off on eating the whole batch right out of the oven, they freeze nicely.  That way you can enjoy them another day.

I’m going to keep this short as I am a tired and busy girl trying to get ready for two little girls big 4th birthday party that is quickly approaching.  I feel like my list of “to do’s” is growing while my days to do it all is shortening.  That seems to always happen, right?  I’ll be sure to share the big event over on the kids side of the blog so stay tuned.  I’ll be back next week so have a wonderful rest of your week and a fabulous weekend!

Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/3 cup canned coconut milk

1 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

3/4 cup coconut flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, plus additional for sprinkling on tops of muffin

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup, sea salt, and vanilla extract.  Whisk to combine and set aside.

Sift coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon into the wet ingredients.  Whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.  Stir in melted coconut oil until well combined.  Fold in banana and chocolate chips until incorporated.

Using a large ice cream scoop, add one level scoop to each muffin cup.  Sprinkle each muffin with a few additional chocolate chips.  Bake muffins for 15 to 18 minutes or until muffins are golden and spring back when pressed gently.  Once baked, cool for 10 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!

Note: I recommend you keep these in a air-tight container and store in the refrigerator to keep fresh longer.  When ready to heat just heat up and enjoy.

45 Responses to Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1. Jeannine says:

I love the brown paper muffin liners you used in this post. Did you buy them somewhere or make them yourself?

I love your blog. Great recipes and nicely styled photos.

2. Katrina says:

These muffins look so delicious! Love this idea :)

3. Wow- so many great flavors all in one muffin :)

4. What a delicious idea :) Ive just bookmarked to try out tomorrow. Thanks! Belle

5. Ashley says:

Can you substitute normal flour for the coconut flour?

Hi Ashley,

I wouldn’t recommend substituting regular flour. Coconut flour is a really dense flour so you don’t have to use as much in a recipe. Also, when baking with coconut flour you use a large egg ratio. I will search around and see if I can find a alternative so you can try. I’ll email you. :)
    Thanks for stopping by.

Heather

7. Randa says:

Hi there! I was just wondering a similar thing as Ashley (except I was wondering about Almond Meal or Flax Meal, rather than regular flour). But if coconut flour is something you use regularly, maybe I should just buy some and make more recipes with it. Thanks!!

8. Randa says:

Just re-read my comment and I don’t think I conveyed the idea that I’d love to hear back from you, to see if you think almond or flax meal would work. If not, do you use coconut flour for several different recipes? If the latter is the case, I may just have to buy myself some. Thanks!

Hi Randa,
    Almond flour is quite oily and doesn’t absorb anything compared to coconut flour. I wouldn’t recommend substituting the coconut flour with the almond flour in this recipe just due to the differences between the two flours. As we all know baking is such a science, you really have to have the right amounts of things to make it work. Coconut Flour is really great, tricky to work with but great. It’s packed with protein and fiber and low in carbs. I would recommend giving coconut flour a try. Brand I would recommend is Wilderness Family Naturals
    I hope this helps Randa and thanks for stopping by. :)
    Heather

10. These look fantastic! I’m going to bookmark this and give it a try! Thanks!

11. […] was originally planning to bring the Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins to the upcoming holiday brunch at my Crossfit gym, but these might be made instead.  Or maybe […]

12. Brandae says:

I made these this morning – YUM! No need to wait for bananas to ripen if you have some frozen ones stashed away for smoothies. I heated a bunch of frozen chunks until they were thawed and used them. Anyway, these are DELICIOUS! The only substitutions I made were using unsweetened vanilla almond milk and nine drops of vanilla stevia. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

13. […] Recipe Link:  http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2011/11/coconut-banana-chocolate-chip-muffins/// […]

14. Sarah says:

I have these in the oven right now! Could you please provide a source for the brown muffin wrappers in the photo? Thanks!

Hi Sarah, you can find the muffin wrappers at King Arthur Flour or even on Amazon. Just look for tulip brown muffin cups. Hope you enjoy the muffins. :)

Thanks!
    MD

16. […] this recipe on my cousins blog {The Cell} who found it on another cool site {Multiply Delicious}.  It’s a great CLEAN muffin recipe that is high in protein and low in refined sugar.    It […]

17. […] as well since they have chocolate in them and they get them for breakfast! I found the recipe from Multiply Delicious which is a great Paleo website with all kids of great […]

18. Crystal says:

I just want to say that I made these today and they are fantastic. I love that they fit into my primal lifestyle. (which is new btw) Healthy, delicious and they made my house smell heavenly.

THANK YOU!

19. I just made these and you are right – they are addicting! I froze most of them so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the whole batch. The only think I did different was use honey instead of maple syrup. Thanks for the recipe!

20. […] recipe here (big thumbs up from us) […]

21. Bella Hammond says:

Baked these tonight and they were pretty delicious! My son loved them. I forgot to add the cinnamon so sprinkled it on top, it definitely taste much more yummy with it! Thanks for sharing!

22. […] banana coconut muffins plus green […]

23. Jessica says:

Hi there!
    I just stumbled into your site today while looking for paleo banana muffins!
    I just made these and they are yummy… But a little salty:( I followed the recipe except that I substituted unsweetened almond milk for coconut milk. Any ideas why they are salty? This is my first experience baking with coconut flour!
    Thanks!

Hi Jessica,
    Sometimes unsweetened almond milk from the cartons have salt added to them so that might have caused the muffins to be more salty.

25. […] Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from Dessert Stalker as found on Multiply Delicious) Yield: 12-18 muffins or 30-35 mini muffins (this is a total […]

26. Jennifer says:

These are DELISH!!! Thank you!!!

27. […] It thrills me that these muffins are Paleo-friendly and high in protein.  I ever so slightly adapted this recipe from a beautiful blog…. so, thank you Heather from Multiply Delicious! […]

28. Gloria says:

These were terrific! I made them this afternoon and my pickiest child thought they were delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

29. Kristen says:

Thanks for sharing your recipe — these look delicious! I’ve never used coconut flour before but I’m excited to try it.

30. Nerisca says:

Do you use canned coconut milk or the kind from the carton?

Hi Nerisca, Use canned coconut milk for this recipe. Thanks for asking too, made changes to recipe. :)

32. […] B’fast- Egg muffin salad + Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip muffin (from Multiply Delicious) Lunch- Tuna salad Dinner- Roast […]

33. Ruth Himmelman says:

I would love to try this recipe but my health food store don’t sell coconut flour. What can I use instead?

34. Claire says:

Jessica (#17) mentioned that her batch of muffins tasted salty. I haven’t made this recipe yet.

However I couldn’t help noticing the amount of baking soda and baking powder that was used. In my experience, those ingredients taste salty. Hence, usually when a baking recipe indicates that salt is needed in addition to soda/powder, I leave it out.

Hi Ruth,

Do you have access to almond flour? If so I would suggest trying the Almond Banana Chocolate Muffin recipe. Head over the breakfast archives and scroll down. They are towards to middle/end.

36. Natalie says:

Hi Heather, would you happen to have the nutrition information for these muffins? I really enjoy a lot of your recipes, thank you!

37. Annie says:

hi Heather
    is the canned coconut milk full fat or light…?..

thanks

Hi Annie!
    I used full fat coconut milk. :)

39. Paula says:

Made these tonight and they are absolutely heavenly!! Unbelievably delicious!! Thank you for a great recipe!!

40. Helen says:

Hi Heather,

What kind of chocolate chips did you use? I can only find chips with sugar in them.

Thanks!
    Helen

Hi Helen,
    I have actually made the switch lately to 100% dark unsweetened chocolate and just chopping it up before adding it to the batter. The sweetness of the muffins should be enough to not have the “sweet” from the chips. I have also used the Enjoy Life chips and they are gluten and dairy free.

42. Helen says:

Thanks, Heather! I ended up making my own “chocolate chunks.” I took 100% cocoa bar, melted it on parchment paper, then added honey and swirled it into the chocolate. I put it in the freezer and before it completely froze, I “scored” the bar. I later broke off pieces as needed – worked beautifully! I only tried this because my son was not fond of the unsweetened chocolate ;) Thank you so much for all of your delicious recipes!!!

43. […] Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins […]

44. Carley says:

So good! just made these for my 18 month old daughter. Major hit. Thanks a million.