I’ve always check labels on foods, but recently more than ever.  I have seen more things added to foods that I have no idea what they are or why they would be even added.  I’ve always cared about what goes into my little ones body but sometimes I think I neglected to think about what goes into my body.  Since going Paleo my mind is even more focused on what we as a family are putting into our bodies.  Because what goes into our body helps us in more ways than one.  After standing in the aisle of tomato sauce I became frsutrated with almost every jar I picked up having not one but several things in the list of ingredients that just didn’t belong or that weren’t good.  And it’s sad to say a lot of jars contained sugar or some form of sugar.  So on a rainy day this weekend I decided to make my own homemade vegetable tomato sauce with real “whole” and clean ingredients and I have to say I now have three jars in my refrigerator and won’t have a need for the stuff on the shelves at the grocery store!  And I’ll feel a whole lot better giving this to my kids and my family.  Tomato sauce seems a little scary to make, but I promise it isn’t.  This sauce took about 30 minutes to make and that’s with me making other things in the kitchen at the same time.  And if you are looking for ways to use the sauce I’ll have a recipe to share tomorrow.  See you then!

Homemade Veggie Tomato Sauce

Print Recipe

1/2 tablespoon coconut oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 sweet onion (or yellow onion)

39 ounces crushed tomatoes (1 – 25 ounce can plus 1-14 ounce can)*

2 zucchini

2 yellow squash

2 cup fresh spinach

1 – 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes*

1/2 baked sweet potato

1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped

3 to 4 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped

1/2 cup Vegetable (or chicken) broth

salt and pepper to taste

Steam zucchini and yellow squash until soft.

In the bowl of a food processor, blend zucchini, yellow squash, 2 cups spinach, diced tomatoes, sweet potato and herbs.

In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil until soft.  Add crush tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine.  Then stir in the blended veggie tomato mixture and broth and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring sauce to a simmer and use with vegetables or protein.

Makes about 3 – 28 ounce jars of sauce.  Sauce can be placed in freezer bags and frozen for later use.

*I used Eden Organic which used nothing put tomatoes, no additives or added salt.  Just plum tomatoes as the one and only ingredient.  I found it in my local Whole Foods.  Another great thing is the crushed tomatoes comes in a glass jar so you can reuse to place the finished sauce in.

Recipe adapted from Whole9

19 Responses to Homemade Veggie Tomato Sauce

1. Katrina says:

This is all kinds of yummy looking! Great recipe. Love it!

2. […] 2 cups Homemade Veggie Tomato Sauce […]

3. Brenda says:

Can a water bath canner be used to can and preserve this?

Hi Brenda,

To be honest I’m not really familiar with canning. Water bath, etc. But I do know you can freeze some of this and just defrost and reheat. Around my house this sauce doesn’t last too long. We use it for a multiple of different things. :)

Thanks,
    Heather

5. […] 2 cups Homemade Veggie Tomato Sauce […]

6. […] made Tomato Sauce from scratch!  Blanching tomatoes is wickedly […]

7. olive says:

This was simply outstanding. it was good as just a stand alone sauce (served over warmed cottage cheese), but insanely better with the addition of ground beef and served over sauteed veggies (used squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, garlic). INSANE!

8. Becky says:

Made the sauce tonight. It was superb! My picky eater had no idea there were so many veggies in it. Win/win! Didn’t use zuchhini noodles (no julienne slicer) we used spaghetti squash instead. Our picky eaters still had their pasta though. Great sauce!!!!

9. Becky says:

I forgot to mention that I roasted the zucchini, squash, and sweet potato in the oven instead of steaming. It was delish!

Roasting sounds like a fabulous idea Becky! I will have to try that next time I make this sauce. :)

11. Jessica says:

I had more time in the morning, so I cubed up all the veggies (I had leftover baked sweet potatoes, so I peeled them first) and dumped everything in my crockpot. High for 4 hours then switched to low for 8 just to make sure everything was soft. Then I used my stick (immersion) blender to smooth it all out. Entire family loved it. Thanks for a great recipe!!

12. Monique says:

YUM!! I made this last night and I will never again buy spaghetti sauce! This was SO delish! And such a great way to “sneak” in veggies for my son & husband. If they would’ve known what I put in the sauce they wouldn’t have eaten it, just because! But they had no clue! I’m SO happy I found this recipie! Thank you.

13. Tara says:

I’ll be making this weekend to dip your pizza sticks in! I have a question though…In your note at the end of your post, you mention tomato sauce coming in a glass jar, but I don’t see tomato sauce on your ingredient list…was it supposed to be tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes??

Hi Tara,

Oh, thanks so much for catching that. It should be crushed tomatoes. :) I will make that change now. Thanks again and I hope you like the sauce.

15. Mariah says:

Cani make this without the sweet potato? I don’t like sweet potatoes.

Sure, that’s fine. I would just beef up the other veggies a little.

17. spacechef says:

When I think tomato or marinara sauce I think simplicity. Tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. I may have to try this though, as I’ve got a lot of zucchini in the garden.

18. […] canned tomato sauce, I used some homemade Veggie Tomato sauce that I had stored away and froze from this recipe. I found this recipe on Pinterest and I can honestly say Pinterest has made it easy for me […]