If you are looking for a Paleo friendly and kid friendly football game day treat look no further.  These coconut chicken nuggets are my families new favorite bite size treat (thanks to Health Bent).  I actually had to contain myself from popping them in my mouth as I was cooking them.  And what is a chicken nugget without something to dip it in?  My favorite dipping sauce before going Paleo was BBQ sauce.  As a southern girl I love BBQ sauce, but it’s not exactly Paleo friendly.  I came across this recipe by Whole9 for the Whole30 plan.  It’s not exactly like my beloved BBQ sauce but it’s pretty darn close and pretty darn good. Now just a warning these chicken nuggets may not last too long so if you want you can double the recipe.  They are great as a game day snack or even for the kids dinner or to pack away in their lunch box. Sorry to keep this short but it’s been a crazy week and next week will be even crazier.  Enjoy these nuggets and have a great weekend!

Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Paleo “BBQ” Sauce

1 pound ground chicken

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon onion powder

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/2 cup + 1/3 cup almond flour

½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut

½cup coconut oil

Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl combine ¼ cup almond flour, ½ cup coconut and salt & pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon each).  Mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the ground chicken, 1/3 cup almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, pepper, and egg yolk.  Mix well until everything is incorporated.

In a sauté pan, melt coconut oil on medium heat.  Take about 2 tablespoons worth of the chicken mixture and roll into a ball and then coat with the coconut and almond mixture.  Repeat with the remaining chicken.  You should make about 15 to 18 chicken nugget/balls. In small batches place nuggets into heated coconut oil and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes.  Transfer balls to a parchment lined bake pan and place in oven for 4 to 5 minutes to allow the chicken to cook through.  Repeat with the remaining chicken nuggets. Allow nuggets to cool and serve with Paleo “BBQ” Sauce (recipe follows).

Paleo “BBQ” Sauce

3/4 cup fresh orange juice

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

10 tablespoons tomato paste

4 tablespoons shallots, minced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon coconut oil

Heat coconut oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  Place minced shallots and garlic in sauce pan until soft.  Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.

Nugget recipe adapted from Health Bent

87 Responses to Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Paleo “BBQ” Sauce

1. Trecia says:

Wish you would put a Pinterest on your website so I could keep up with your recipe! Love it!

2. Maggie says:

My kids didn’t like these, but I ate most of the batch. Loved the sauce, that’s a keeper.

3. These are SO GOOD! Way better than anything from the store! Woohoo!!! :-) Thank you so much!

4. Nora says:

I don’t see why you couldn’t make the sauce in a big batch and can in whatever size containers you would use up before it spoiled.

5. Alex says:

How long does the bbq sauce keep in the fridge?

Alex, it’s best for about 3 to 4 weeks.

7. [...] this I rolled the dice at my daughters birthday day party and made these ‘paleo chicken nuggets’   guess what even the pickiest of children eaters absolutely devoured [...]

8. best nugget by far :D Thanks

9. [...] sure how these would freeze, I just make a couple occasionally) Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Frittata Paleo Nuggets (there are lots of variations on this grain free, nasty free nugget recipe… experiment) Basic [...]

10. Lindsay says:

I am not sure if it is legal or not but I am taking this recipe and doing a few tweaks and blogging about it. They are WONDERFUL as you made them but I have a Hubs that won’t eat coconut and loves nuggets lol. I have given your blog full credits I think but feel free to pop over and see how it all turns out if you have a second!

11. Jody Hughes says:

Is there something I could use in place of shallots? Would onion work? I am going to try these tonight! Look so yummy!

Hi Jody!
    You can use onion instead of the shallots. Maybe add a bit more. Shallots have a stronger flavor than onion so you might need to add 1/4 to 1/3 cup. Hope you like these! They are a favorite in my house.

13. [...] had no idea what to do with it. I thought about maybe trying to do a barbecue chicken, so I found this recipe for coconut chicken nuggets and barbecue sauce. Instead of nuggets, I made strips and just cooked [...]

14. [...] Crispy Prosciutto Chips Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Beetroot Crips with Fennel Paleo Pizza Bites Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Paleo BBQ Sauce Paleo Devilled Eggs Green Eggs Bacon Wrapped Dates Almond Cheese Chilli Lime Chicken Wings Carrot [...]

15. Tiffany says:

We loved this! We had to substitute turkey since the store was out of chicken and we don’t use salt and it was still great! thanks for a great recipe!

16. Karyn says:

Oh. Em. Gee. I just made these. Then I stood over the baking sheet and immediately ate 5. THESE ARE AMAZING. I love them!

17. Liz P says:

OMG, these were so amazing. I made a batch for me and the hubby, and we ATE THEM ALL! I was so full, I was miserable, but they were too good to stop. These will definitely be a favorite around here! Thank you!

18. Shelly says:

Hi there I love your recipes!

These are on the menu for the week but I had a few questions. I couldn’t find ground chicken so I was thinking of doing it myself. would a food processor do the job? I also have ground turkey so I could use that and save myself extra work if you think that would suffice. Lastly how would the sauce be without mustard powder or is there a sub? Thanks so much, love your recipes!

Hi Shelly,
    You can use your food processor to ground the chicken breasts. I do that often myself. And ground turkey could be an alternative too. I haven’t tried the sauce without the mustard powder but I don’t see why you couldn’t remove it. Give it a try and let us know. Are you not a mustard fan? Or you don’t have it on hand? If you like mustard and have actual mustard on hand give that a try also. Good luck!

20. Browningfam says:

My family really enjoyed these. Great recipe! I made a few without rolling in breaking. I jjust baked those for my oldest daughter who doesn’t care for coconut, and she liked them. I just mixed in a little extra of the coconut/almond flour mixture to the meat mixture. She liked the flavor and didn’t notice the coconut. Thanks for recipe.

21. Ashleigh Jameson says:

These are fantastic! I used almond meal instead of almond flour (it was way cheaper at the local farmers market) It still worked great. The coconut really adds a really delicious unique taste. The sauce was fantastic too. The perfect alternative to ketchup.. no high fructose corn syrup and all naturally sweetened. Thanks for sharing!

22. Abigail says:

Hi! I am new to paleo and I am trying to compile recipes that my kids will eat before we make the big plunge. Do you think these would freeze well? I would love to have a quick dinner or snack option for after school.

Hi Abigail!

Welcome to Paleo! These chicken nuggets can be frozen. I have frozen and then reheat them in the oven. Still tastes delicious. :)

24. Aimee says:

I made these last night, and they were amazing! I used whole chicken and cut into chunks, because that’s what I had. I just added all the spices to the dry mixture. Thanks for this recipe. It was one of those recipes that is so tasty, that I wonder why everyone doesn’t have a paleo diet.

25. […] Coconut Chicken NuggetsSay goodbye to fried mystery meat. These coconut-crusted nuggets also come with a recipe for Paleo barbecue sauce for a condiment we won’t have to write off as a […]

26. […] 5. Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Paleo “BBQ” Sauce […]

27. Kim says:

I made these tonight, without the bbq sauce, and they were unbelievably good! I doubled the recipe for leftovers and very glad I did.

28. Tena Lengacher says:

what are the macros for this recipe

29. Jodie Hoogendam says:

I am anxious to try this recipe. I have seen many recipes that call for unsweetened coconut but it is hard to find. I know you can get it on Amazon but there are several different brands at several different prices. What is a good brand. Also, how long does it stay fresh. Thanks.

30. Anh Nguyen says:

@ Trecia – you can use the “Pin It” bookmarklet to pin something from most sites, if the social share button isn’t on the site. Here’s the link on how to add to your browser (from Pinterest help section) – http://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/add-pin-it-button-your-browser#Web

31. Katie says:

These were rally good but I’m wondering, does the almond flour oxidizes with the high heat? Sorry, wee bit orthoexic here!

32. […] Coconut Chicken Nuggets […]