This post is for waffles but I’m not going to spend much time talking about waffles. There is something more important I would like to share with you.  Earlier this month, food writer and blogger Jennifer Perillo of In Jennie’s Kitchen lost her husband suddenly to a heart attack. Though I don’t know her, I have been so moved by her story.  Last week I sat in front of my computer and cried so hard for Jennie and her two little girls (ages 3 and 8).  I can’t even imagine the loss they all must be feeling at this time.  And many have felt the same way.  Many people wanted to do something but didn’t know what to do.  It was then that Jennie said the best way they could show support was to make her husband Mikey’s favorite thing, Peanut Butter Pie.  The food blogging community is an amazing community!  Last week, thousands of bloggers shared Peanut Butter Pies for Jennifer and her daughters through a series of blog posts.  This event made the front page of CNN.com and Food Network. Submissions were flooding in so quickly that Tastespotting and Foodgawker dedicated entire pages to Mikey’s Peanut Butter Pie. And Todd and Diane made a beautiful video that made this a movement.  Now I hope we can all come together again and support Jennifer and her daughters in this very difficult time, both emotionally and financially.  A fund has been started so that we may all easily donate directly to Jennifer. Called #afundforjennie, it’s being organized, maintained and facilitated by Shauna James Ahern of Gluten Free Girl and Maggy Keet of Three Many Cooks. Maggy launched Bloggers Without Borders, a non-profit organization of bloggers for bloggers. Bloggers Without Borders is now collecting money for Jennie’s family and have made it super easy to donate. Also various auctions are being held by bloggers to raise money for Jennie and her family.  If you can give just a little it will help her and her family in more ways than one.

Thanks for listening and please give the ones you love a hug and kiss and tell them how much you value them because you never know what life may bring.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the waffles….trust me…they are yummy!

Apple Coconut Waffles

Print Recipe

1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

¼ cup water

1 ½ cups almond flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon arrowroot powder

½ apple, peeled and grated

¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and water until smooth.

Add the almond flour, salt, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.  Add apples and coconut and mix to combine.

In a preheated and greased waffle iron, scoop batter onto iron and cook until golden brown or as your waffle irons instructions.

Top waffle with additional coconut, toasted pecans, and apple and serve along with maple syrup.  A real treat!

26 Responses to Apple Coconut Waffles

1. Katrina says:

These sound awesome! I love mixing up my waffle flavours for something new. I’ll be donating to the fund for Jennie. Great post today :)

2. Yum, these look great. We are always stuck on your standard, bisquick waffles- but we may just have to give these a try!

3. Rachelle says:

Tried these this morning and they were delish!

4. Sandy says:

I did not have as much luck with these, they were very dry, should the batter have been like traditional batter, cuz mine wasn’t. They tasted good, but dry. Like the Sahara. Any tips?

Hi Sandy,

Sorry your waffles turned out drier. I didn’t have the same problem. But just remember these are not going to be like the traditional “gluten” waffles. If they were dry for you try to add a little more liquid. Like coconut milk or almond milk. Add a little at a time until the dough is “wet”.
    Thanks,
    MD

6. Aubrey says:

These turned out great! One of the best paleo waffles I’ve made yet! I did add about 1/2 cup of unswt almond milk to the batter to make it more “wet”.

7. Aubrey says:

Sorry I need to identify that I also doubled the recipe, so added the approx 1/2 cup of unswt almond milk to a doubled recipe

8. […] sugar, not the flour. I’ve also craved pancakes/waffles a few times, but I found an awesome grain-free waffle recipe that’s proven delicious more than once. Social situations prove a bit more difficult. Last […]

9. Annette says:

Hi! I was in the mood for a ‘carb-like’ snack and whipped these up. They were quick and easy to make and they were amazing. My pickiest daughter liked them. Thanks so much! I now have an easy paleo go-to snack & breakfast recipe.

10. […] Meh, didn’t eat much. Had a few bites of these amazing Apple coconut waffles, but before I could snap a good photo the kiddo had dug right in. Note to self: find some better […]

11. Laura says:

These are great! I left out the maple syrup in the recipe and used it to top them instead. Great!

12. Alisha says:

These are fantastic! My husband is even a fan, which is saying a lot. So delicious! Thank you :)

13. Danelile says:

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Danelile says:

I’m going to make these for dinner tonight yum

15. […] original recipe was for waffles, but after an unfortunate incident involving my waffle maker, it made me less than […]

16. Karoline says:

I´m so gonna make these!! And follow your blog :)

Have a nice day!

17. Danielle says:

Made these this morning and they were fantastic! As I was shredding my apple on the grater, I noticed it was resembling apple sauce, so instead I just threw in some apple sauce with the coconut and saved the apple to dice for the top. I also added a 1/4 cup coconut milk since some suggested theirs was a little dry. Let me just say we will never buy store bought waffles for our daughter again! Thank you!

18. Kurry says:

These were amazing!! I wish I could pin your recipes!

19. Angie says:

Would these freeze and reheat well? They look amazing and something even the kids would enjoy!

Hi Angie!
    Yes, these are great frozen and reheated. I have done this in the past and they are great for little ones. :)

21. Laura says:

Made these this morning. They were delish!!!

22. […] I used Multiply Delicious Apple Coconut Waffle recipe but subbed a peach (for the apple) and coconut sugar (for the honey). We didn’t have maple […]

23. FitMomPam says:

Made these for my kids and they absolutely loved them. thanks!